1080ti rog strix gaming vs aorus xtreme?

MattyB13

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Hi all,

Looking to purchase a 1080ti and wanting to get peoples thoughts about these two cards.I can get the Aorus for $60 less than the strix and I am tempted to do that as I have had good luck with Gigabyte in the past. I've seen a lot of posts online however where people are complaining about instability, and the OC mode being useless because of it. Does any of that still ring true? Most of those complaints were a year old.. Anyways just want to hear some thoughts about these two options. Is the strix worth the extra 60 bucks?

Would also love any other suggestions, those are just the two cards I kind of locked in on and have been reading about

Specs if its useful are:
16GB ddr4
Aorus gaming 5 MB

Thanks!

Solution
Extreme edition's base clock is higher and it is a higher binned gpu, better quality.

Standard edition Aorus 1080Ti people have had success in overclocking it but the Extreme will go higher.

People prefer Msi Afterburner to overclock. People did have trouble with Gigabyte's Aorus software early on, the newest edition from what i can tell people are happy with it now.

Admittedly i haven't used Gigabyte's software after finding out about it's early issues (Bought the card late last year) and still don't have it installed. Msi Afterburner i do have installed and haven't bothered to overclock the card further. What Gigabyte's software does Afterburner does as well, think Gigabyte's is easier...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I own Gigabyte Aorus Xtr, bought it being a cheaper option to Asus offerings here in Aus. Also read great reviews of Gigabyte's great quiet cooling and haven't been disappointed.

I was looking into overclocking or undervolting it with Msi Afterburner. The gains from overclocking i read only yields 4~5fps more and undervolting supposedly helps reduce power draw and heat allowing the card to boost more efficiently but i dont know, the card is quite cool already so ended up not worrying about it and left it as is.

10 series default fan curve doesnt start till about 60c so don't freak out when you notice fans not spinning on idle :)

MattyB13

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Thanks for the response boju. I am leaning towards the Aorus definitely. Just to be clear though I'm more talking about the OC mode you get to use for buying the xtreme version of the card.. factory overclock basically. I don't want to spend the extra dough for a factory overclock that might not work worth a crap while gaming. Especially when I can get the non-xtreme Aorus for even less.

Also please let me know if I have my facts mixed up in terms of the factory OC stuff.

IMHO there's really not much difference between the factory overclocked and regular 1080 Ti. If it comes with a decent cooler you'll be able to overclock it and pretty much reach or surpass factory overclock.

What's worth it for me is getting the best cooling solution possible like the version I bought is a hybrid liquid and air cooler in which helps me a lot in overclocking it beyond the factory oc frequencies.

99d622b7bf2b6de42dd3292cf09e08db.jpg

MattyB13

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
I was kind of assuming that they bin the factory OC editions leaving things fare more up to chance buying the non-oc versions? If thats not the case then I'll happily buy the non OC aorus. It's actually over a hundred bucks less than the strix.

MattyB13

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
So scratch that, the regular Aorus is out of stock. I went with the Aorus xtreme, worried about prices going up as people buy these things up due to the lack luster rtx reviews. I have faith in Gigabyte, been through lots of mobos and video cards from them in the past :D

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Extreme edition's base clock is higher and it is a higher binned gpu, better quality.

Standard edition Aorus 1080Ti people have had success in overclocking it but the Extreme will go higher.

People prefer Msi Afterburner to overclock. People did have trouble with Gigabyte's Aorus software early on, the newest edition from what i can tell people are happy with it now.

Admittedly i haven't used Gigabyte's software after finding out about it's early issues (Bought the card late last year) and still don't have it installed. Msi Afterburner i do have installed and haven't bothered to overclock the card further. What Gigabyte's software does Afterburner does as well, think Gigabyte's is easier.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TAORUS-11GD#sp
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TAORUS-X-11GD#sp

Round up:

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/7385/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-round-up-which-one-is-the-best

----

Think you made the right choice.

Solution