1080ti SLI with low fps on 4k

Oct 5, 2018
Hi everyone,

Before I explain everything here is my current setup:
Gigabyte aorus gaming 7 x299 rev 1.0
I9-7980xe @2.6ghz (water cooled)
128Gb ddr4 Corsair led vengeance @2133mhz
SLI with 2x MSI 1080ti gaming x trio (fan cooled) factory frequencies
2x Samsung C27H711 (27", 2560 x 1440 pixels)
1x Samsung U32H850UMU (32", 3840 x 2160 Pixels)

SLI is enabled for the U32H850UMU

Now everything is set up, my problem is that in every game I have less that 60fps when on ultra and @3840x2160 (even in minecraft sometimes...) And it seems really bad considering the hardware listed before. I am running the nvidia drivers 411.70
Thanks already for the help

Solution
I think your system is fine. It is just that SLI scaling sucks and Wildlands is not very well optimized. Techpowerup got 51 w/SLI and 36 w/out SLI and you got 51 w/SLI and 34 w/out.

If gaming is your primary focus, I would return the two 1080 ti's and get a 2080 ti. It is about 30-40% better fps than the 1080 ti. Around 40% is about average for scaling with games that support SLI.

But my guess is this rig's primary purpose is not gaming, so if you need those 1080 ti's for something else, then hang onto them and deal with some of the SLI issues.
SLI does not work for a lot of games and in a lot of games it will have negative scaling. I have run 1080ti's SLI and I found that more often than not I was disabling SLI because of poor performance in games.

What games are you playing? I don't play minecraft, but I doubt it has good multi GPU support since it is not a demanding game. Running SLI in a game that does not support SLI will give you worse framerates than if you were playing the same game on a single card.

Most indie games don't have much SLI support. You can do some tweaking with Nvidia Profile Inspector, but then again, indie games are typically not too demanding and don't require a second GPU.

So look at your AAA games where you will see some improvements. Techpowerup recently did a SLI/NVlink review. There you can see their scores and it will show you the games that have positive scaling. Run the games with positive scaling and see how your results compare to theirs.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_SLI_RTX_2080_SLI_NVLink/4.html

Oct 5, 2018

In ghost recon wildlands for example I get at Max 50 fps and avg of 37 fps
Haven't tried rise of the tomb raider, GTA v or the witcher yet but I will monitor the values and get back here asap

WildCard999

Titan
GTA V and the Witcher 3 do have SLI profiles so as long as your drivers are up to date those games should show a increase over a single GPU. Try your games with and without SLI and see what the differences are. Another thing to note is that if the game does have a massive upgrade it can mess up the SLI profile, this happened to me a few times with the Division.

Wildlands is a good one to use as it has a built in benchmark and it does have positive scaling with SLI. Run a bench with SLI disabled and one enabled, and let us know what the difference is.

Techpowerup go 4k averages of 51fps in SLI and 36fps in single card for the 1080ti. They used a different test bed than your machine, but the scores should not be too far apart. If your scores for are lower for both, then there is something wrong with your rig.

Obviously, with a system like you have (very nice rig by the way), I would think that you may have checked some of these things, but how are your CPU temps? Did you just install both cards together? Did you have a different card installed before? If so the old drivers may be messing things up or your drivers are corrupted. It may be worth trying the DDU tool below in safe mode to uninstall your drivers and then do a clean install of the current drivers.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Oct 5, 2018

This is a new rig and everything is fresh installed from CPU and GPUs to drivers and os.
The temps are:

Idle:
GPU1(no screens, bottom pcie): 28°C
GPU2(the one with the screens plugged in, top pcie): 60°C
CPU: 36°C

On Load ( Ghost recon Wildlands, steam uplay Wallpaper engine)
GPU1: 53°C
GPU2: 82°C
CPU: 44°C

fps are:
3840x2160 Ultra sli activated
min: 42.62
max: 55.12
avg: 51.16

3840x2160 Ultra sli desactivated
min: 30.75
max: 38.09
avg: 34.11

3840x2160 Custom (smaa+fxaa instead of temporal AA) sli activated
min: 51.90
max: 62.93
avg: 57.31

3840x2160 Custom (smaa+fxaa instead of temporal AA) sli desactivated
min: 30.10
max: 40.63
avg: 35.73

I hope this helps

I think your system is fine. It is just that SLI scaling sucks and Wildlands is not very well optimized. Techpowerup got 51 w/SLI and 36 w/out SLI and you got 51 w/SLI and 34 w/out.

If gaming is your primary focus, I would return the two 1080 ti's and get a 2080 ti. It is about 30-40% better fps than the 1080 ti. Around 40% is about average for scaling with games that support SLI.

But my guess is this rig's primary purpose is not gaming, so if you need those 1080 ti's for something else, then hang onto them and deal with some of the SLI issues.

Solution
Oct 5, 2018

thats right i use this rig for video and photos as well as 3d rendering, i guess ill just game in 2.5 k and ill have more than 60fps on every game

Killer01ws6

Reputable
Nov 11, 2014
I game 4K flawlessly on the Division, so it maybe you just try 4K on the titles and see how it comes out for you, then if an issues, scale back some of the candy or drop Resolution, but I bet you will have more good than bad. All have been great for me so far. I was going to grab Wildlands soon, but now that Div2 is coming, likely will stay on that front