[SOLVED] 10900k - Windows power options (not working)

Jun 22, 2020
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the technicals, but I recently bought a system with the i9 10900k. I have what I believe to be an "issue" or misunderstanding. I have changed the power settings to balanced to try and save some juice and not have the CPU run so warm when idle. sounds great, and normally I would thing.

the problem seems to be even in balanced mode the CPU bounces from 3.5ghz to 4.8. My old 6700k used to go to rouhly 800hz.
I thought okay, background processes? nope, nothing out of the usual.

is this a 10900k thing or its there something I can look into?

- I have since found all the power options don't seem to work.
i can select them (say high performance) but it will still bounce from 3.6 ish to 4.9 depending on real load.

Solution
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the technicals, but I recently bought a system with the i9 10900k. I have what I believe to be an "issue" or misunderstanding. I have changed the power settings to balanced to try and save some juice and not have the CPU run so warm when idle. sounds great, and normally I would thing.

the problem seems to be even in balanced mode the CPU bounces from 3.5ghz to 4.8. My old 6700k used to go to rouhly 800hz.

i can select them (say high performance) but it will still bounce from 3.6 ish to 4.9 depending...
Jun 22, 2020
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the technicals, but I recently bought a system with the i9 10900k. I have what I believe to be an "issue" or misunderstanding. I have changed the power settings to balanced to try and save some juice and not have the CPU run so warm when idle. sounds great, and normal I would think

i can select them (say high performance) but it will still bounce from 3.6 ish to 4.9 depending on real load.

Bouncing is normal, that's what it's supposed to do. Staying at lower speed until needed. In your Power saving plan you could lower Minimum processor state to some small number like 5% and idle speed should drop to much lower frequency.

Solution
Jun 22, 2020
Bouncing is normal, that's what it's supposed to do. Staying at lower speed until needed. In your Power saving plan you could lower Minimum processor state to some small number like 5% and idle speed should drop to much lower frequency.

Thanks for the reply.
I've checked the power plan, and the minimum power setting is currently set to 5%.

Same results however. Cant tell if it's a cpu or motherboard issue. Or a windows problem.

I understand it's a recent board and cpu so theres bound to be some issues. But still cant pinpoint the cause

Thanks for the reply.
I've checked the power plan, and the minimum power setting is currently set to 5%.

Same results however. Cant tell if it's a cpu or motherboard issue. Or a windows problem.

I understand it's a recent board and cpu so theres bound to be some issues. But still cant pinpoint the cause
Did you set any power saving options in the BIOS ? They should match whatever you set in windows.

Jun 22, 2020
I've come to the conclusion that the power states are working as intended.

What have realised that I've not synced all cores. So windows will not show if frequency drops to say 800hz

Using hwinfo 64. With core settings set to auto. That actually some cores will drop to 800hz to save on power. If they where synced they would all drop. But the flip to that is when demand is high 5ghz on all cores is hot.

Thanks for the advice up to now. It helped me understand where to look
And hopefully this will inform others.