[SOLVED] 10G Networking Question

Feb 20, 2021
I have a Synology Rackstation with the 10G network card connected to a switch via a 10G SPF+ adapter on my main switch and it works great.

I also have a Windows PC with a 10G PCI network card connected to the same switch also via a 10G SPF+ adapter.

Traffic between the two work great and very fast (about 4x the speed of 1G but that's OK).

The problem I have is for other network traffic from that PC (like surfing the web) the connection is a bit spotty. It generally works but it has frequent slow-downs and lock-ups.

I would love to figure out a way for only traffic to the NAS to go via the 10G card and have all other traffic go via the 1G card on the motherboard.

When I connect both to the same switch it seems to favor the 10G card for everything.

I have tried to fool around with the route table but I don't know enough about networking to do it correctly.

I bet that there is any easy way to do this but I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance,

David

Solution
I would agree with kanewolf since you already have a 10g capable switch.

The way you would do this using both interfaces would be to connect the nas to the pc directly on a different subnet and then connect the 1gbit interface to the router. You would have 2 different networks.

Using the switch is much better option. As you have found out the 10g network interface is not the bottleneck so you have plenty of extra bandwidth to run both the disk and internet traffic on the same interface. It takes a lot of very careful file and disk design to be able to get disk subsystem that can really run at 10g.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Synology Rackstation with the 10G network card connected to a switch via a 10G SPF+ adapter on my main switch and it works great.

I also have a Windows PC with a 10G PCI network card connected to the same switch also via a 10G SPF+ adapter.

Traffic between the two work great and very fast (about 4x the speed of 1G but that's OK).

The problem I have is for other network traffic from that PC (like surfing the web) the connection is a bit spotty. It generally works but it has frequent slow-downs and lock-ups.

I would love to figure out a way for only traffic to the NAS to go via the 10G card and have all other traffic go via the 1G card on the motherboard.

When I connect both to the same switch it seems to favor the 10G card for everything.

I have tried to fool around with the route table but I don't know enough about networking to do it correctly.

I bet that there is any easy way to do this but I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance,

David
Your best approach is to have the 10GE on the PC handle ALL the traffic. A single high bandwidth interface is much simpler than anything else. So your 10GE switch should have a 1GE uplink to the router to provide internet. That way your local traffic will be as fast as possible and you will still have internet access.

I would agree with kanewolf since you already have a 10g capable switch.

The way you would do this using both interfaces would be to connect the nas to the pc directly on a different subnet and then connect the 1gbit interface to the router. You would have 2 different networks.

Using the switch is much better option. As you have found out the 10g network interface is not the bottleneck so you have plenty of extra bandwidth to run both the disk and internet traffic on the same interface. It takes a lot of very careful file and disk design to be able to get disk subsystem that can really run at 10g.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS