Question 10GB PCI ethernet card makes my M.2 NVME boot drive disappear from the BIOS - Asus X99 Deluxe 2, i7-5930K

Feb 16, 2023
So, I'm trying to put 10GB ethernet into my old but still amazingly capable desktop so I can put all my files on an UnRaid server. Problem is that when I plug in the 10GB Ethernet card (Intel X540-T2) and re-boot, my nvme M.2 drive (Sabrent 1TB) disappears from the BIOS (and therefore from the boot order) completely. I have tried everything I know of to get the motherboard to see both the M.2 and the 10G card at the same time, but nothing seems to work.

Here are my full system specs:

• Asus X-99 Deluxe 2 Motherboard
  • 48GB HyperX DDR4 2400 RAM
  • Intel i7-5930K
  • Zotac 1060 3GB GPU
  • EVGA 1000watt PSU (80plus gold)

- I have unplugged all other hard drives. I have plugged the 10GB card into every single PCI slot. I have disabled PXE. I've done even more than that, and I can't remember it all. But I'm hoping that someone might have tried this similar issue and has knowledge of that one little thing that I didn't do, whether it's hardware or BIOS related. (Oh, and the BIOS is updated to the latest version.)

Thank you!!!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, PCIe 16x_3 is not an option at all. That directly conflicts with the M.2 port.

x16 4 and 5 should work (The lowest two), only conflicts with the U.2 ports.

x16_2 is limited to 4x lanes if there is something in the 1x slot, I think is what they mean.

How many lanes is that 10GB ethernet card looking for?

Feb 16, 2023
Well, PCIe 16x_3 is not an option at all. That directly conflicts with the M.2 port.

x16 4 and 5 should work (The lowest two), only conflicts with the U.2 ports.

x16_2 is limited to 4x lanes if there is something in the 1x slot, I think is what they mean.

How many lanes is that 10GB ethernet card looking for?

Thank you for asking!

I tried the card in x16_5 first, and then x16_4 second. Then for giggles I tried 16_3 and 16_2. Nothing on ANY of them.

Based on what I can find, the card is a x8 lane card: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...thernet-converged-network-adapter-x540t2.html

I only have the M.2 and the 1060 plugged in, so I should have the lanes left over - The 5930 has 40 lanes, if I remember right.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
IRQ conflict(s)?

Look in Device Manager for/at the IRQs

With the Ethernet Card and M.2 installed separately and then when both are installed together - if the latter is possible...

Device Manager > View tab.

Likewise look via msinfo32.exe.

"WIN"+ "R", in Open: type in "msinfo32.exe" (without quotes) > Hardware Resources > IRQs

= = = =

Use Powershell's Get-PNPDevice cmdlet or click the device(s) directly.

Get-PNPDevice | Format-List

Likely a long list but look for and compare the conflicting card and M.2 drive.

Again make comparisons when installed separately and then installed together.

= = = =

And with an Ethernet card involved run:

Get-NetAdapter and GetMac (not hypenated).