11-Way P45 Motherboard Shootout

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
You forgot the EP45-DS3L.:( . Also why include cr@ppy brands (ie JetWay) any ways?

Exactly. You have only uber expensive/ equipped with random crap that no-one-really-cares-about deluxe version of the brand names, but to compensate you introduce a couple of no-names to the show.

I’d much rather have seen P5Q (Vanilla/ Pro) go head to head with MSI’s normal boards and GA DS3L and DS3R.

All that said, I have to say that I am very pleased with the specs you gave for each board and the audio comparison in the end. I really appreciate it. For future references, it might be good to state audio codec that the board uses instead of the board, or maybe fit in both, or just a legend on the bottom/top of the page that references each board with its respectable codec it uses.

I wouldn’t mind if you introduced 200$ discrete audio card to the bunch, just so we know what we’re missing by not getting it.

That’s about it.

One final thing: is stability on ALL boards same- ie flawless? Did you have troubles with any? If so, what kind? I’d really like to know this part even more than the rest. Having good audio and whatnot matters so much if your board is unstable like my last P5K-E. No reviews mention that. Or maybe random BSOD every few days is to be expected with any new board?

Kalo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
I ordered a P5Q Deluxe yesterday here in Australia $228, first motherboard I've ordered in 7 years!

Yes. I'm excited.
I honestly can't wait to put it together. :)

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]eodeo[/nom]Exactly. You have only uber expensive/ equipped with random crap that no-one-really-cares-about deluxe version of the brand names, but to compensate you introduce a couple of no-names to the show.[/citation]
Please read the next few comments. :sarcastic:

[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]NO motherboards were "Forgotten". Everyone got a chance to submit up to two motherboards, Gigabyte sent one. Jetway send one. Any of the other brands you disliked that were in the review, were there because everyone got an equal shot.[/citation]

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I haven't read through the entire article. I actually skipped to the Conclusion first to see what board was rated as best (frankly that's important to me). Unfortunately, I see the second best, third best, but I'm having a hard time identifiying what Tom's calls the 1st best. It is not clearly stated.

A comparison is just that...comparing. It is not a CONTEST.

azides

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
It seems to me that the boards were all fairly close, except for perhaps the overclockings! ... benchmarks when close are tough to call, you get a similar but different answer every time ... too close to call! I wonder too if the clock timings were all the same (going back a few years, some manufacturers increased the clock slightly, increasing CPU speed and thus benchmark results).

It is hard to differentiate when so many boards are so similar in performance, thus the differential comes down to reliability, features and whats included in the box. When boards are so similar, there likely is no real difference between them. The problem is, we all have different hardware, so how do the boards react to all of the different hardware, operating systems, file structures, raid arrays etc. available? So in the light of all the possible combination's THG takes a standard setup and tests to give an idea of how they perform ... to perhaps reveal severe deficiencies ... seems good to me!

Overclocking of course, will determine most decisions overall!

Anyways, I just got an Asus P5Q deluxe to replace my almost dead Abit AX8 ... I am very happy with it.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]azides[/nom]I wonder too if the clock timings were all the same (going back a few years, some manufacturers increased the clock slightly, increasing CPU speed and thus benchmark results).[/citation]
Abit still do this I believe.

azides

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I think they did for the AX8. Not sure though!

It seamed to me once upon a time that Abit were a force to be reckoned with. Going back to the BE6 with a PIII-450, they ruled the roost, and with the original Athlons ... so I stuck with them. If I recall, the Abit softmenu was the first time overclocking could be done without jumpers.

It is a shame they are not doing as well these days.

G

Crashman: i understand the way of test, but using a 6850 means the highest stable FSB is irrelevant, a 8x00 can do 600 or more... and most of the 65nm series are limited at 500-550. it's like testing the newest 4870 x2 on 1280 with a 65nm dualcore... it is limited by the processor, and no way it gives a good picture about the real behavior and stability of the mobo.

hell, i had a P5K with FSB wall@540 (tested on water with a 6300 or 6400). which was indeed a golden sample in its category, and a very good performer in the p35 class. and then, i bought a q6600... it had dropped way too much and way too unpredictable... OC was funny, you adjusted the voltage and you never know, what happen next. so i bought a giga p35-ds4... and that can handle a quad. and i'm certain, that it has a lower max FSB... but who cares? so the behaviour of a 65nm dualcore is somewhat irrelevant to a p45 board, people don't buy a shiny new p45 board under it... and when you buy a new p45 board, you do mostly buy with it a quad/45nm c2d.

azides

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
@ Randomizer

I hope they have solid boards! Thats what they were known for. About bios, they done update often ... at least that was my experience with the AX8.

azides

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I don't mean to be a party pooper, but @ Proci and the thread in general.

I think it was a good review of the boards, like I said, at stock they perform very similarly. Though, the overclocking traits differ some and it might be that a 45nm CPU might overclock better than a 65nm one. Though for the sake of comparison with charts and previous reviews, THG chose to run a 65nm part.

In terms of overclocking, when you get down to the nitty gritty, i.e. water cooling vs air cooling and maximum overclocking ability, one might find that air cooling comes out better, due to the cost ratio. That is to say that you might get a better o/c with water, but the cost MIGHT be offset by getting a better CPU (etc., video card, memory, disk), not to mention additional costs of topping up the water cooler.

Also with extreme overclocking (or overbussing to be more correct), one might run the risk of HDD corruption.

I am only speaking from experience. The first overclock I did was on a K62-350, through K63-450, PIII-450, etc. to now E8500. I started with a DX4-120.

I have used, in order, air cooling, peltier (self built), water (coolance P2C way back when!), back to air.

Overall, overclocking (or overbusing) is great, but there are other factors to consider. Would overclocking in the extreme cause problems? Is a more moderate overclock beneficial?

Though, wrt "Proci". comparing a 65nm part with a newer part may seam irrelevant, given that the newer parts are cheaper compared to the older, with exception of the Q6600 which has no newer part counterpart.

[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]NO motherboards were "Forgotten". Everyone got a chance to submit up to two motherboards, Gigabyte sent one. Jetway send one. Any of the other brands you disliked that were in the review, were there because everyone got an equal shot.[/citation]
I see.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I would like to see how the P45 compares to the X38/X48 when doing Crossfire. Is there a 10% penalty on the P45 that runs the 2nd slot at X8? Is the P45 really only a good choice for gamers that want a single card (including dual GPUs on one card, like the 4870X2)?

Running DDR3 1600 at 1066 CAS5 is faster than DDR3 1333 CAS7?

Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]DXRick[/nom]I would like to see how the P45 compares to the X38/X48 when doing Crossfire. Is there a 10% penalty on the P45 that runs the 2nd slot at X8? Is the P45 really only a good choice for gamers that want a single card (including dual GPUs on one card, like the 4870X2)? Running DDR3 1600 at 1066 CAS5 is faster than DDR3 1333 CAS7? Thanks! [/citation]

It doesn't run just the second slot at x8, it runs BOTH slots at x8.

And yeh, 1066 CAS 5 can be a little better than 1333 CAS 7, when your FSB is only 1333. Remember that this is dual-channel mode, so you only really "need" DDR2-667 to match the FSB.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
It's funny how everyone thinks you chose particular boards

As a reader, I can complain all I want. It doesn’t matter how unreasonable my complaints may be or how annoying I am. It’s my god-given right. Speaking of which- I’d like to see reviews of non deluxe version. Could you asked MSI/GA/AS to send in their gear?

Thank you :)

I really do love THG. It’s my daily stop you know.

nickchalk

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]There are low-priced P45's in there. The ECS only cost $110 US, which, given the weakness of US currency, is cheap.[/citation]
ECS doesn't come to Greece. it looks fine to me though.

G

i have tried to register with THG several times just now and the confirmation email was blank ... so i guess i post as anonymous.

just had the same thought as DXrick ... researched it also on newegg comparing product specs ... 4/5 (roughly) P45 boards say CFX auto selects to x8 x8 ... do the boards whose specs just say pcie 2.0 x16 maintain x16 for both slots or did the description just not get entered correctly? is x8 x8 the only way P45 boards come? And if so do the X48 boards do x16 x16?

sorry if your reply answered that, Crashman, i was too slow to understand it.

Thanks for the clarification, i am planning on doing my first complete pc build and would love some input...

While i am posting, and i know this isn't technically article specific, anyone have an idea on the time frame or truth to the rumor of a 4870 1 Gig version any time soon?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]quikslyver[/nom]i have tried to register with THG several times just now and the confirmation email was blank ... so i guess i post as anonymous.just had the same thought as DXrick ... researched it also on newegg comparing product specs ... 4/5 (roughly) P45 boards say CFX auto selects to x8 x8 ... do the boards whose specs just say pcie 2.0 x16 maintain x16 for both slots or did the description just not get entered correctly? is x8 x8 the only way P45 boards come? And if so do the X48 boards do x16 x16?sorry if your reply answered that, Crashman, i was too slow to understand it. Thanks for the clarification, i am planning on doing my first complete pc build and would love some input...While i am posting, and i know this isn't technically article specific, anyone have an idea on the time frame or truth to the rumor of a 4870 1 Gig version any time soon?[/citation]

That's what makes the P45 Express a "Mainstream" chipset and the X38/X48 a "High End" chipset. The P45 Express has only sixteen total PCI-Express 2.0 lanes, so you get them either all on one slot, or divided into x8/x8 for two slots.

The Gigabyte board is unique because it allows you to divide the sixteen pathways across four slots, through a PCI-Express hub, in x4 mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.