News 11 Worst Features of Windows 11 and How to Fix Them

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netverse

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2014
Windows context menu has always been that way. I have so many programs on windows, I always have to click to scroll through, and what makes it worse, the main features like cut/copy/paste/delete/etc, always gets pushed to the bottom of the list and one has to click and keep scrolling. And what is worse, than that, dark mode doesn't put a white arrow there but a dark black arrow and at times, I can't see it to know there is more or where to click. As for Win. 11, upon reading the errors it has and all the changes they made to fix them, I don't even have to use it to know it is like any other previous OS, with bugs that were never fixed, bugs that weren't ironed out before selling it, and all they want to do is sell people an OS that is a work in progress, and have them pay their money to troubleshoot problems or report them so Microsoft, just sits on their ass and does nothing and get's paid for it. Windows 11, upon reading all the problems, should even be put a a computer to be sold. They still never fixed all the problems I reported about windows 10.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Windows context menu has always been that way. I have so many programs on windows, I always have to click to scroll through, and what makes it worse, the main features like cut/copy/paste/delete/etc, always gets pushed to the bottom of the list and one has to click and keep scrolling. And what is worse, than that, dark mode doesn't put a white arrow there but a dark black arrow and at times, I can't see it to know there is more or where to click. As for Win. 11, upon reading the errors it has and all the changes they made to fix them, I don't even have to use it to know it is like any other previous OS, with bugs that were never fixed, bugs that weren't ironed out before selling it, and all they want to do is sell people an OS that is a work in progress, and have them pay their money to troubleshoot problems or report them so Microsoft, just sits on their ass and does nothing and get's paid for it. Windows 11, upon reading all the problems, should even be put a a computer to be sold. They still never fixed all the problems I reported about windows 10.
Microsoft seems weakest and cheesiest company among tech giants. And yes, you're absolutely right, they didn't even fixt things fully in Windows 10 (which was supposed to be last Windows) and yet, they rushed to release Windows 11 and it's full of problems, it's like they released beta version for people to test. Shameful. It again shows how incompetent are people working in Microsoft, however my main problem with Windows 11 weren't only bugs and instability, but the changes they did there. Instead of adding new features, they started focusing to remove features. They removed so many things that there's a full article about it on Wikipedia. For some people it's not a big deal, but for certain users who like customizing their OS is a big deal breaker. It's a slap in the face. Why take features that we had before? It's so stupid and aggressive move that can make some people disappointed. It's like when you have heater and air conditioner in your car which are useful in summer and winter and one day, they replace your car with a brand new car which doesn't have heater and air conditioner. That's how it is exactly with Windows 11. Microsoft again proves over and over that they are immature company despite being on the market for so long. They have huge money and they had chance to stay on a mobile market, but they completely failed there. They lack crativity and innovation and always steal ideas from others. All they do now is try to implement things from other companies, because they don't have anything themselves. That's why they're focused now to integrate android and Linux into their moronic OS.

Just few example how bad they are:
  • Browsers: They tried to push hard their Internet Explorer, but no matter of their effort, they failed and eventually they killed it. Later they came with new browser Edge, but it still was inferior to other browsers (especially most popular browser Chrome), so they killed it too and remade their Edge on Google's chromium engine, because simply they couldn't create better engine. At first that Edge wasn't bad (but still inferior to Chrome), but as always they are ruining it again with implementing bloatware there (putting MSN games and loan taker app).
  • Messaging: They changed their MSN messenger to Windows Live messenger, then they completely killed it because it still was inferior to Skype, so they acquired Skype which was most popular messaging app by that time and guess what? They ruined it too and now they killed it too and replaced with Microsoft Teams which I'm pretty sure will fail again as history shows us and will be replaced by something else and then it will have same fate and etc, cycle will go on...
  • Search engine: They're trying to compete with Google with their Bing, but Bing sucks so much that no one uses it and as Microsoft cares only about money, they're trying their best to force Bing to people by not allowing you search on other search engines in Windows start and by not allowing you to search things in other browser than Edge. At least you could change this with third party software in Windows 10, but in Windows 11 they made it so that this software simply doesn't work. They also made it very hard to switch your browser from Edge. Very aggressive move, if you ask me.
  • Mailing apps: Remember Windows Live mail client? No one used it and eventually they killed it and replaced with another mail app in Windows 10, but again no one is using it and lacks lots of features. Give them a time, they will kill it too. Pattern is same as always.
List can go on, but it's clear that Microsoft are most non inovative company that can't make anything desent. They have only Windows and the only reason why this Windows is most popular are video games and certain programs tied to it (Adobe products and etc)... This company is pathetic.

I despise this Windows 11 so much and I despise Microsoft so much that, when they will end support for Windows 10 in 2025, I will completely migrate to Linux. Right now, I'm slowly shifting to that OS. I don't want to be on OS that tries to control me and dictate me how and what to do. I want to have OS which is not only free, but gives me full freedom how to customize it and on the top of that doesn't violate my privacy by harvesting data like Microsoft does. I better stay with few video games and with Linux than with moronic Windows 11 and with tyrant company like Microsoft which doesn't care about users but only profit and money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TesseractOrion

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
As part of the MS Windows 11 insider Dev channel, I have seen a lot of changes with the settings menu showing the biggest improvement. MS still has not allowed the taskbar to move around, uncombine, etc. StartAllBack ($4.99 license) listed in the fixes does a LOT to fix several of the issues listed here. It allows the taskbar to go to any edge, prevents combining open windows, and allows my beloved TLB to go back onto the taskbar. It can change the taskbar layout, resize it, change the start menu into several choices such as putting it back to classic 7 or 8, and lots more. That was just the thing I needed to bring Win 11 to the top of my preferred MS OS list.

Mar 5, 2022
Wow. Clearly the author is easily annoyed and not very understanding of the difficult decisions MS has to make to try to please everyone (which is impossible). Personally the only thing I miss about Windows 10 is the weather widget, but none of these other issues are a big deal. You get used to it, just like we all got used to the ribbon and the redesigned start menu when those were first introduced and everybody complained. And it should be noted that many people like to use OneDrive and Edge. Edge is actually a better browser than Chrome is now, most people just don't realize it because they haven't given it a try.

Furthermore, the fact that MS pushes its own products in its own OS should not only be expected, but it should also be acknowledged that both Apple and Google do exactly the same thing, so when the tone of the article implies that this practice is somehow nefarious that's not only inaccurate but disingenuous.

Mar 5, 2022
Microsoft seems weakest and cheesiest company among tech giants. And yes, you're absolutely right, they didn't even fixt things fully in Windows 10 (which was supposed to be last Windows) and yet, they rushed to release Windows 11 and it's full of problems, it's like they released beta version for people to test. Shameful. It again shows how incompetent are people working in Microsoft, however my main problem with Windows 11 weren't only bugs and instability, but the changes they did there. Instead of adding new features, they started focusing to remove features. They removed so many things that there's a full article about it on Wikipedia. For some people it's not a big deal, but for certain users who like customizing their OS is a big deal breaker. It's a slap in the face. Why take features that we had before? It's so stupid and aggressive move that can make some people disappointed. It's like when you have heater and air conditioner in your car which are useful in summer and winter and one day, they replace your car with a brand new car which doesn't have heater and air conditioner. That's how it is exactly with Windows 11. Microsoft again proves over and over that they are immature company despite being on the market for so long. They have huge money and they had chance to stay on a mobile market, but they completely failed there. They lack crativity and innovation and always steal ideas from others. All they do now is try to implement things from other companies, because they don't have anything themselves. That's why they're focused now to integrate android and Linux into their moronic OS.

Just few example how bad they are:
  • Browsers: They tried to push hard their Internet Explorer, but no matter of their effort, they failed and eventually they killed it. Later they came with new browser Edge, but it still was inferior to other browsers (especially most popular browser Chrome), so they killed it too and remade their Edge on Google's chromium engine, because simply they couldn't create better engine. At first that Edge wasn't bad (but still inferior to Chrome), but as always they are ruining it again with implementing bloatware there (putting MSN games and loan taker app).
  • Messaging: They changed their MSN messenger to Windows Live messenger, then they completely killed it because it still was inferior to Skype, so they acquired Skype which was most popular messaging app by that time and guess what? They ruined it too and now they killed it too and replaced with Microsoft Teams which I'm pretty sure will fail again as history shows us and will be replaced by something else and then it will have same fate and etc, cycle will go on...
  • Search engine: They're trying to compete with Google with their Bing, but Bing sucks so much that no one uses it and as Microsoft cares only about money, they're trying their best to force Bing to people by not allowing you search on other search engines in Windows start and by not allowing you to search things in other browser than Edge. At least you could change this with third party software in Windows 10, but in Windows 11 they made it so that this software simply doesn't work. They also made it very hard to switch your browser from Edge. Very aggressive move, if you ask me.
  • Mailing apps: Remember Windows Live mail client? No one used it and eventually they killed it and replaced with another mail app in Windows 10, but again no one is using it and lacks lots of features. Give them a time, they will kill it too. Pattern is same as always.
List can go on, but it's clear that Microsoft are most non inovative company that can't make anything desent. They have only Windows and the only reason why this Windows is most popular are video games and certain programs tied to it (Adobe products and etc)... This company is pathetic.

I despise this Windows 11 so much and I despise Microsoft so much that, when they will end support for Windows 10 in 2025, I will completely migrate to Linux. Right now, I'm slowly shifting to that OS. I don't want to be on OS that tries to control me and dictate me how and what to do. I want to have OS which is not only free, but gives me full freedom how to customize it and on the top of that doesn't violate my privacy by harvesting data like Microsoft does. I better stay with few video games and with Linux than with moronic Windows 11 and with tyrant company like Microsoft which doesn't care about users but only profit and money.
Bing is actually a better search engine than Google. Google used to be good, but then they got this idea that it's their job to push what they consider "accurate" information to the top and push to the back everything that they consider to be "inaccurate". In other words, they're censoring their own search results now. Bing at least gives you what you asked for, even if you asked for crap, which is what a search engine is supposed to do.

And yes, it's pretty obvious that you despise Microsoft. ;)

Mar 5, 2022
As part of the MS Windows 11 insider Dev channel, I have seen a lot of changes with the settings menu showing the biggest improvement. MS still has not allowed the taskbar to move around, uncombine, etc. StartAllBack ($4.99 license) listed in the fixes does a LOT to fix several of the issues listed here. It allows the taskbar to go to any edge, prevents combining open windows, and allows my beloved TLB to go back onto the taskbar. It can change the taskbar layout, resize it, change the start menu into several choices such as putting it back to classic 7 or 8, and lots more. That was just the thing I needed to bring Win 11 to the top of my preferred MS OS list.
I would assume that a lot of these fringe features will eventually make it into Windows 11 but were not considered important enough for the initial release.

USAFRet

Titan
I would assume that a lot of these fringe features will eventually make it into Windows 11 but were not considered important enough for the initial release.
Exactly.
Just like the Win 10 you have now is not the same as a year ago, or 3 years ago, or in 2015 when it was released.
Changes, additions, removals.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It can change the taskbar layout, resize it, change the start menu into several choices such as putting it back to classic 7 or 8, and lots more.
Progress, making things exactly how they were before.

I guess they did sell Widgets as "new"... just forget they existed before. Microsoft are in business of selling a new UI every 5 years, they can't give you everything back or there won't be anything to sell next time.

Mar 31, 2022
I had Windows 11 installed for a day and then rolled my system back to Windows 10.

Here are my reasons why:
  • Start Menu...can't group start menu icons into namable categories, can't resize the start menu
  • Task Bar...can't resize task bar, right clicked context menu shows only task bar settings
  • Context Menus...removed context menu resources
  • Visuals...entire theme is similar to Mac OS (If I wanted a Mac OS theme, then I would buy a Mac)
In the article Windows Explorer was also mentioned. Microsoft created Explorer, but has never fully understood it's potential. For over a decade I have used a Windows Explorer replacement called Directory Opus. It's not free, but it is far, far better than the file manager included in Windows. If you are like me and use a file manager for all your file needs, then you should give Directory Opus a try. Even a free open source file manager is better than Windows Explorer.
Both you and the person who wrote the article missed (for me) a major one. Folder.jpg is no longer supported in Windows 11. This function/file allows the user to put pictures, posters, album covers or artwork on the face of a folder for an easy visual que when scanning a bunch of folders. This affects Photographers, Videographers, Artists, Developers, Designers, Engineers and people with Music or Video libraries with poster or cover art. It also affects people (Like me) that like custom identifying artwork on their desktop folders. There are some people (also like me) that fall into multiples of these categories. A current posted work around, is to create custom Icons for each folder, and attach them to the folders. One of the detractors for doing this, is once you replace the folder Icon, nobody but you knows it's a folder, and not a program, app or file. Folder.jpg has been part of Windows for a very long time. I have put a Folder.jpg file in/on each folder I have created for many years. I have literally thousands of folders with visual ques on them, and cannot even imagine how much work it would be to create Icons for each and every one, then replace the folder Icons with the new Icons. - all because Microsoft decided to eliminate a few lines of code. Complicated registry hacks and third party software to replace features, customization and productivity tools Microsoft has ripped from the Windows U.I. are NOT an answer. Microsoft's apathy to the users loss of productivity and ease of use of the U.I. through customization is appalling. Complaints have been streaming in through the feedback hub and boards since this travesty called Windows 11 has been released and Microsoft has either been very slow to respond or has not responded at all. I thought Microsoft was supposed to listen to their Users!
BTW: - Only ten days to decide you don't want to keep Windows 11 and revert back? REALY?

Last edited:

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Both you and the person who wrote the article missed (for me) a major one. Folder.jpg is no longer supported in Windows 11. This function/file allows the user to put pictures, posters, album covers or artwork on the face of a folder for an easy visual que when scanning a bunch of folders. This affects Photographers, Videographers, Artists, Developers, Designers, Engineers and people with Music or Video libraries with poster or cover art. It also affects people (Like me) that like custom identifying artwork on their desktop folders. There are some people (also like me) that fall into multiples of these categories. A current posted work around, is to create custom Icons for each folder, and attach them to the folders. One of the detractors for doing this, is once you replace the folder Icon, nobody but you knows it's a folder, and not a program, app or file. Folder.jpg has been part of Windows for a very long time. I have put a Folder.jpg file in/on each folder I have created for many years. I have literally thousands of folders with visual ques on them, and cannot even imagine how much work it would be to create Icons for each and every one, then replace the folder Icons with the new Icons. - all because Microsoft decided to eliminate a few lines of code. Complicated registry hacks and third party software to replace features, customization and productivity tools Microsoft has ripped from the Windows U.I. are NOT an answer. Microsoft's apathy to the users loss of productivity and ease of use of the U.I. through customization is appalling. Complaints have been streaming in through the feedback hub and boards since this travesty called Windows 11 has been released and Microsoft has either been very slow to respond or has not responded at all. I thought Microsoft was supposed to listen to their Users!
BTW: - Only ten days to decide you don't want to keep Windows 11 and revert back? REALY?
Since Microsoft launched Windows 11 and I tried it, I've been preaching this on all forums and saying to people to not upgrade to Windows 11, because it's a castrated OS and inferior to Windows 10. Microsoft's main focus in Windows 11 was to remove as much customizations as possible and eventually they created oversimplified abomination of Windows. I've been saying this all the time, but some users don't listen and still keep upgrading to this moronic OS.

Go back to Windows 10 while you have a chance.

Apr 6, 2022
I installed Win 11 on my Surface and it has nice features for tablets. I will not be installing it on my desktop because of many features this article discusses.

Microsoft continues to be idiots and insist desktops, tablets and laptops must have the exact same OS. I simply do not use my tablet in the same manner as my desktop. They need different OS features. For example, files displayed in File Explorer on my Surface have small check boxes for selection. That box is too small to select by touch. If I don't have a mouse, there are many things I just can't do efficiently. . I also detest using touch on a desktop. Working with the OS on Surface is twice the work of doing the same thing on a desktop. Win 11 has improved that feature. Microsoft needs to maximize efficiency of each device type with it's own OS and not a lame one-size-fits-all approach.

I hate the Win 11 taskbar.
I've always hated Surfaces file explorer and Start Menu.
Microsoft Ink may or may not work correctly. It depends on the time of day or lunar cycle, not sure which applies.
I hate Skype and cannot remove it.
I hate Xbox and will never be buying one, so why must my desktop OS have it installed?
I don't play games on my desktop, so why must it be installed?
I've tried to use OneDrive since it was created, but it constantly has issues. I've lost so many files, I dare not rely on it. I always store copies on a flash drive for transportation. I've never seen OneDrive work for anyone without them losing files at one time or another.
Windows security sucks big time!

There is absolutely nothing provided by the Windows OS, which I need.
As soon as I'm no longer forced to use Windows for work, I will be changing to a version of Linux.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022
Great Post! I managed to replace few ackward Win11 settings that I didn't like and that was cool. Unfortunately, I was expecting a solution to the worst missing feature in Win11 Taskbar that wasn't considered at all: the fact that dragging a file over an icon of an active software or window, doesn't recall the landing item. Example - Let's say you have an image on the desktop and you want to open it in Photoshop which is running minimized. In all the previous OS you would drag the img on top of the PS icon on the taskbar and let it go as PS shows up on the desktop. In Win 11 this is not possible anymore. Does anyone know a workaround to this? Thanks.

Jul 19, 2022
Actually, right after I posted the complaint about the pop up missing feature I've found the solution which is still just a workaround but does the job: When dragging a file on top of a taskbar icon right when it is overlapping just click Alt + Tab and that will open the relative app.

Status
Not open for further replies.