110V to 230V transformer

CGurrell

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Hi guys,

So me and my family are going to NYC from the UK next weekend. My brother has a medical pump that only runs off of a 230V circuit. I can't seem to find a good 110V to 230V transformer/converter anywhere. Do you guys know where I can get one as its essential for our holiday. I'll upload an image of the electronics information asap, but as far as I can remember it uses 500mA on the 230v circuit.

Thanks guys

Solution
That will work, and regardless of what the other poster said the one I posted would work also.

If you read the spec and not looking at the incomplete picture, it clearly states it has an adapter for the US plugs.

It is also a step up and down transformer.

European Plug on the cord
US Plug adapter included
2 sockets in the front - accepts North American 3-Prong
Plug and 2 prong European Plug
Heavy duty for continuous use
Durable industrial type cord
Ventilated design for continuous use

CGurrell

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
4745454b the pump works on the battery for 2 hours, he uses it for an 8 hour period overnight. Maybe I wasn't clear, the pump when plugged in but not pumping on the 110v circuit will charge to full, however the pump will only run for those two hours even if plugged in. the pump must want to charge the battery and pump at the same time but can't on the 110v so give an error beep and stops

millwright

Distinguished
I'm not familiar with any model, the stuff I worked with in power plants was much bigger.

I think there are only 2 kinds, round and flat pin.

That transformer appears to have both.

I've only experienced the plugs in United Arab Emirate, and that was a long time ago.

4745454b

Titan
I don't think that's what you want. If you are in the UK and traveling to USA/NYC, you need something with USA plugs on the cord, and your UK plug on the other end. That unit has US plugs on the end, not UK. You'll need something that takes "our" 110V/60Hz, and will power your 230V/50Hz with a UK plug on the end right? That unit won't work.

CGurrell

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Thanks for the help :)

I'm at my PC now and not trying to do all of this off of my iPhone so I can try and explain this a little better.

The pump (see image below) has an internal battery which operates the pump, and a power input to charge the battery. When in use and plugged in, the power from the wall only charges the battery, whilst the battery operates the pump. On a 230v circuit, this is fine as the battery charges as fast/faster than it uses up its stored power, however, on a 110v circuit, it uses it's contained power faster than it can charge. When the battery runs out of stored power, the pump stops.

After doing some searching online I've found this unit. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-110v-to-230v-300w-voltage-converter-up91y It's a little pricey compared to US pricing but at this point, pricing doesn't really matter. Is this what I need?

Thanks again for the help guys

Pump pic

millwright

Distinguished
That will work, and regardless of what the other poster said the one I posted would work also.

If you read the spec and not looking at the incomplete picture, it clearly states it has an adapter for the US plugs.

It is also a step up and down transformer.

European Plug on the cord
US Plug adapter included
2 sockets in the front - accepts North American 3-Prong
Plug and 2 prong European Plug
Heavy duty for continuous use
Durable industrial type cord
Ventilated design for continuous use

Solution

TRENDING THREADS