[SOLVED] 1150 E3 Xeon in low grade board

Status
Not open for further replies.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I was checking around for used CPU and found a socket 1150 Xeon E3-1241. It looks like its basically an i7-4770 without the graphics. I assume I would lose my OBG with this, but will it even run on my low rent Acer Aspire motherboard? Is the fact that the motherboard is looking for OBG support from the chip, then not find it going to mess things up? The motherboard in question is a tc-605, with a h81 chipset. It looks like it should work and would be a significant jump over my i5-4440.

Solution
Chipset-wise, it's compatible - but Xeons in an OEM are a crapshoot. Might work, might not. Can't seem to find any record of any configurations in CPU-Z etc, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

I assume I would lose my OBG with this

It took me longer than I care to admit to realize you were saying onboard graphics 😂
The graphics are on the CPU currently, the Xeon has no graphics built-in, so you'd need a dedicated GPU.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Chipset-wise, it's compatible - but Xeons in an OEM are a crapshoot. Might work, might not. Can't seem to find any record of any configurations in CPU-Z etc, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

I assume I would lose my OBG with this

It took me longer than I care to admit to realize you were saying onboard graphics 😂
The graphics are on the CPU currently, the Xeon has no graphics built-in, so you'd need a dedicated GPU.

Reactions: groo
Solution
There's really no information on that motherboard on supported CPUs.
Take a look at this thread on Acer's forums: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/419795/tc-605-upgrading-processor-to-i7-4790

From that thread:
Here are the original processors:

Spoiler
KC.18201.CDGCPU.G1820.2.7G.2M.LGA.1150
KC.18401.CDGCPU.G1840.LGA.54W.Haswell
KC.32201.DEGCPU.G3220.3.0G.3M.1333FSB
KC.32401.DEGCPU.G3240.LGA.54W.Haswell
KC.32601.DEGCPU.PGA.INTEL.G3260.LGA.3.3G.3M.53W
KC.41301.CI3CPU.I3-4130.LGA.3.4G.3M.1150.HASWELL
KC.41501.CI3CPU.i3-4150.LGA.54W.Haswell
KC.41601.CI3CPU.i3-4160.3.6G.3M
KC.44401.CI5CPU.I5.4440.3.1G.6M.1600.QUAD
KC.44601.CI5CPU.I5.4460.3.2G.6M.1600.QUAD
KC.47701.CI7CPU.i7-4770.3.4G.8M.1600FSB.HASWELL
KC.47901.CI7CPU.i7.4790.LGA.84W.Haswell

Those are the CPUs that the Acer TC-605 was shipped with... these should surely work, but you'll need to update your BIOS for the Haswell Refresh chips the G2360, I3 4150,4160, I5 4460, I7 4790.

Trying that E3-1241 would be a pretty high risk decision... even if it is on the same socket, it might not be supported by the motherboard or BIOS (support for the chip not being added).
I wouldn't try that. If you want an upgrade you should just get what is known working for that board.... like the I7 4770, I7 4790 (you'll need to update the BIOS first for this chip).

Reactions: groo

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
sort of what I found. the E3s are compatible with many boards with that chipset, but Acer would probably see no reason to support a server CPU with a lower end board. maybe it would. maybe it wouldn't, then I get to argue with the seller if the reason it doesn't work was my system or a crap CPU, and try to resell it when I don't trust it.
I think I'll stick with known compatible CPUs.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Trying that E3-1241 would be a pretty high risk decision... even if it is on the same socket,

Really depends on price. It's only 'high risk' in terms of the cost to acquire the Xeon. If it's cheap enough (to you, OP), then it might be worth the risk.

For what it's worth, they'll sell for ~$60 easy, all day long on eBay.... So if you can pick one up cheaper than that, you could always resell it if it doesn't work for you and break even (or make a slight profit). A lot of hassle though..... I'd probably take a gamble at ~$20. Much more than that, I probably wouldn't bother myself.

but Acer would probably see no reason to support a server CPU with a lower end board. maybe it would.

You might be surprised actually. I've seen OEM boards work with Xeons just fine. Couldn't remember the models now if I wanted to though. Can't say I recall ever seeing an Acer working with a Xeon, but can't say I've ever seen it tried either.

At the end of the day, the Xeons aren't fundamentality different than their desktop counterparts..... I believe the BIOS would actually have to specifically lock them out, opposed to specifically okaying them, but don't quote me on that 🤷‍♂️

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Really depends on price. It's only 'high risk' in terms of the cost to acquire the Xeon. If it's cheap enough (to you, OP), then it might be worth the risk.

For what it's worth, they'll sell for ~$60 easy, all day long on eBay.... So if you can pick one up cheaper than that, you could always resell it if it doesn't work for you and break even (or make a slight profit). A lot of hassle though..... I'd probably take a gamble at ~$20. Much more than that, I probably wouldn't bother myself.

You might be surprised actually. I've seen OEM boards work with Xeons just fine. Couldn't remember the models now if I wanted to though. Can't say I recall ever seeing an Acer working with a Xeon, but can't say I've ever seen it tried either.

At the end of the day, the Xeons aren't fundamentality different than their desktop counterparts..... I believe the BIOS would actually have to specifically lock them out, opposed to specifically okaying them, but don't quote me on that 🤷‍♂️
Its over the eBay price, but not dealing with eBay is worth something to me.
it is fundamentally different as the e3 has no graphics. probably has them on the die or whatever, but disabled. still that aspect is different. I have no idea about ECC memory or what-not. I agree that it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.