[SOLVED] 11600K temp high?

Ksan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hi guys and thank you for any help you may give me. I just built a new system and my CPU 11600K I think is running to hot at Idle it is 38C but under a game load it is running red line full fan and 95C

I think I used Thermal Paste that is 10 years old, could this be the problem? I'm kind of new to this and didnt know thermal pashe went bad, or does it? The sytem is listed below. thank you

I5 11600K CPU No OC Because of heat problems.
MSI Z590 gaming plus MoBo
Coolermaster 212 evo V2 Cooling
Team group Zero 1GB M.2 gen 4 SSD
Seagate 2Gb 3.5 HD
RX 6600 XT GPU
MSI mph 750 PSU
Nzxt Phantom 410 case with full 8 fans 4-120mm 4-140mm All intake but back fan is blowing out.

Last edited:
Experiment with your fan setup.
You want a good airflow going across the cpu cooler and out the case.
I think I might set the top fans to exhaust.

Hyper212 is popular because it is cheap, but it is not particularly good.
Look for a twin tower cooler like the Noctua NH-D15s.

Reactions: Ksan

Ksan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
So does thermal paste expire? I had a tube of Arctic silver left from a long time (8 Years) ago that i used. I'm thinking maybe it was bad?

Last edited:

Ksan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
OK, I'm going to add new thermal paste and a Be Quiet 250W TDP Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler. Thank you all very much for the help. Everything I had read on the 11600K was misleading, I understood it to be a 150TDP but now that I know it is a 250TDP i understand my mistake. Thanks.

Ksan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I finished installing the Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 Pro and Grizzly Thermal paste this evening. It dropped the Temp on my 11600K from 38C on idle to 24C and on full tilt from 95C to 67C. I'm very happy with this and wanted to give you guys a follow up and a big thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me.

EDIT............I can't help but think it had to be the very old thermal paste I first used. I can't believe their is that much difference in the coolers themselves, I could see 3 degree but not this much. I'm going to try the 212 hyper evo out with the new paste later this week and see if it is really the cooler or it was the thermal paste expired.

Last edited:
I finished installing the Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 Pro and Grizzly Thermal paste this evening. It dropped the Temp on my 11600K from 38C on idle to 24C and on full tilt from 95C to 67C. I'm very happy with this and wanted to give you guys a follow up and a big thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me.

EDIT............I can't help but think it had to be the very old thermal paste I first used. I can't believe their is that much difference in the coolers themselves, I could see 3 degree but not this much. I'm going to try the 212 hyper evo out with the new paste later this week and see if it is really the cooler or it was the thermal paste expired.

There is that much difference between the coolers, don't waste your time trying the Hyper 212 again. You have a good cooler mount with the Dark Rock 4 Pro, don't mess that up by taking it apart again.

Reactions: Ksan

Ksan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Experiment with your fan setup.
You want a good airflow going across the cpu cooler and out the case.
I think I might set the top fans to exhaust.

Hyper212 is popular because it is cheap, but it is not particularly good.
Look for a twin tower cooler like the Noctua NH-D15s.

I did started out with the top fans blowing out but I watched several Youtube videos on fan placement and temp and every one I watched said the coolest was all intake but the back fan blowing out. I can't say this is the right way, I'm no expert for sure but i did study it..........some. Any way thank for your help

TRENDING THREADS