[SOLVED] 11700K High Temps With AIO

Dec 10, 2021
Hello,

I have a newly built system which is experiencing poor cpu thermals. It idles at around 40 C when the AIO fans are on full speed. The ambient temperature is probably around 27 C. The main problem arises under any sort of load. Whilst gaming the temps range between 65-75 C on average with max of 85/90 C. When running a Cinebench, the temperature immediately jumps to 95-100 C and remains in that range. The cpu is running at stock. I have only enabled XMP in the bios.

I have: reseated the cooler; reapplied thermal paste; change the orientation of the fans; confirmed that the pump is at max RPM through bios. It can hear it make a noise every now and then for what sounds like the water moving through the pump and the pipes vibrate as if the water is flowing (this is my first AIO so I am not completely sure how it should sound and or feel but I saw that suggested in a previous thread). I can also feel it the radiator get hot where the tubes connect.

I have no idea what else I can do. Is there something else that could be wrong with the radiator? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Build:
CPU - Intel i7 11700K
Mobo - ASUS TUF B560 - PLUS WIFI
Cooler - Cooler Master ML240L V2
Case - Lian Li 011D Mini
Fans - 8x Cooler Master Sickleflow 120mm (6 for case, 2 for AIO)

Solution
Liquid has greater thermal capacity than air, but it also takes longer to cool. It does not instantly get cooled off at the radiator; that energy doesn't just vanish at that point, with the liquid returning to the cpu block back to ambient temp.
If the return tube is much cooler, then something is hindering flow trying to leave the radiator.

If both tubes are warm, then the cooler is doing it's job... but if thermals are still not adequate, then the cooler isn't 'big enough' for the job.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What is the fan setup? For reference:
iu

What is the gpu?

Remove both side panels, and aim a fan to blow inside the PC. Test thermals again. What happens?

Dec 10, 2021
What is the fan setup? For reference:
iu

What is the gpu?

Remove both side panels, and aim a fan to blow inside the PC. Test thermals again. What happens?

GPU - Gigabyte Vision 3070

Fan setup - 3x intake bottom; 3x exhaust top; tried both intake and exhaust on the radiator (Side mounted) and both yield the same results.

So I removed the side panels and aimed a fan in and did the bench again. There is no difference.

Dec 10, 2021
That's a cooler problem then.
One more question: When there's a load on the cpu, you should not be able to notice a significant difference between the tubes. Do you notice said difference?

It feels like the one tube is warmer than the other and then on the top of the rad, the one side definitely feels warmer than the other. But isn't there supposed the be a difference for the movement of hot liquid and back in as cooler liquid? Am I misunderstanding something?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Liquid has greater thermal capacity than air, but it also takes longer to cool. It does not instantly get cooled off at the radiator; that energy doesn't just vanish at that point, with the liquid returning to the cpu block back to ambient temp.
If the return tube is much cooler, then something is hindering flow trying to leave the radiator.

If both tubes are warm, then the cooler is doing it's job... but if thermals are still not adequate, then the cooler isn't 'big enough' for the job.

Reactions: vvMousse
Solution
Dec 10, 2021

Ah. That makes sense. Thank you for your help. I will contact them about it.

Make sure you've gotten all air out of the pump (let it bubble into the radiator by keeping the pump low) prior to install and make sure the hoses are facing down at the pump and radiator when installed.

also your radiator fans should be connected to the CPU or CPU OPT headers so they'll ramp up with CPU temps