[SOLVED] 11700K with "high" temps under "heavy" load.

Sejersen

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
Hey guys!

Sorry if I was unable to locate the same question, however, I have just upgraded my new setup here using the 11700K and with an older closed-water cooler, I think was from Corsair or coolermaster. Just a single 120mm.
The new MB is a Z590-F which comes with the "Armoury Crate" software to monitor frequencies and temperatures - Which I haven't tried before, but seeing it came with the MB I thought it might be alright. (I haven't tried anything else yet)

Based on the fact that when I gamed games like Battlefield 2042, Cyberpunk 2077 or God of War on Ultra (I have an RTX 3070ti) I hit temps around 75 degrees, which the "Armoury Crate" software marked with red (I guess to say it's too much), I actually replaced my previous watercooler with the NH-D15, as I could read it was one of the best coolers currently.

But even so, I still hit the 75 degree mark and I double checked the quantity of thermal-paste, I even added another chassis-fan to enable even better air-flow, and yet, 75 degrees.
Usually it happens around 40 minutes into the gaming session, so it's not immediately, but I do stop my gaming-session when it hits the "red numbers".

Some key-info:

Motherboard: Z590-F
CPU: Intel I7 11700K
Cooler: NH-D15 (With both fans attached and working)
Thermal-Paste: Noctual NT-H1 - And I probably added something between the "pea-sized" and the "Big-blob" test:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWVVTY63hc

(Sorry for the video, it just gave a good idea of usage)
Chassis-Fans: Added an extra one which directs airflow from the NH-D15 out of the chassis itself.

I even tried turning on/ off the AI cooling feature of Armoury Crate. Which honestly doesn't do anything.

My idle-temperatures are just around 28-31 degrees, which I think it pretty okay. And using Plex Media Server Transcoding only hits around 40-50 degrees. So it's only when I play games that heavy. VS2022 doesn't qualify as heavy load either.

Now, my actual question is a two-in-one deal;

Is Armoury Crate reliant?
And is 75 degrees dangerous to my 11700k in long term?

Thank you so much in advance!
/Mikkel.

Solution
That's a long story for two pretty easy to answer questions.. ;)

But 75C is perfectly fine for long time use. Armory Crate is just whining, apparently the threshold for "high" temperatures is very low. Nothing to worry about at all. Enjoy your Ultra setting! :)
Oct 17, 2021
75 is not going to hurt anything at all on an 11700k. I would not rely on Armoury crate though. Download hwinfo64. Try running something like cinebench to see what your max Temps are. 75c is fine though on air. Game on.

That's a long story for two pretty easy to answer questions.. ;)

But 75C is perfectly fine for long time use. Armory Crate is just whining, apparently the threshold for "high" temperatures is very low. Nothing to worry about at all. Enjoy your Ultra setting! :)

Solution

Sejersen

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
Hey guys!

Thanks for the quick replies! I would have put my bet on the fact Armoury Crate would be a bit "whiny" - But I like to have a bit of backup before ignoring it.

I just downloaded HWInfo64 and I guess I would have to do some stress-testing, but I was once told that anything below 85-90 degrees wouldn't hurt your computer. But that was a few years back and this is the first time I have replaced components or upgraded my rig in almost 10 years - So something might have changed in terms of "recommended" temps.

I really appreciate the quick replies and the comfort in knowing that 75 degrees isn't breaking anything. (Aaaand that Armoury Crate might be something you shouldn't rely on too much)

Thanks! :)

ps. I can't mark both as best answer, though both are.

Your temps are not a problem , on horizon zero dawn i ran its own stress test with task manager on top so i could see the temps it hit 82 and when the shader optimiser stopped running it dropped to 70 , the fans deffo doing the business on my gtx 1080 because as soon as i stop gaming it drops the temp very quick.

Is it my imagination or do games with a lot of dark colours make a card work harder

boju

Titan
Ambassador
75 is ok if ambient temps isn't likely to change all that much. Just keep an eye on background usage in task manager because AC is bloatware and has a tendency of being a nuisance. I use Coretemp to monitor temps (11600k) and that's accurate.

AC is very difficult to uninstall so maybe leave it but if want to read up on how to there's discussions about it at Reddit.