[SOLVED] 11th gen 11600k or wait for 12th gen. Not bothered about ddr5 ram atm. Its to play games, music production, streaming, internet browsing etc.

ac13044

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
11th gen 11600k or wait for 12th gen. Not bothered about ddr5 ram atm. Its to play games, music production, streaming, internet browsing etc. Also with 12th gen am sure there will be some flaws and bugs to squash so at takes time in need of an update asap

Solution
Yeah, 11600K is perfectly fine but if you want streaming and that...you might look at 11700 non K and just run it at 4.6 all core by opening power limit. The extra cores do help.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I tend to agree with the above aspect concerning streaming. The extra cores will really help. Everything else the 11600K will be better at, even if marginally. For this use case and assuming you would be ok with the gen 3 storage/pci the 10850K is a powerful pick for a great price.

Keep in mind anything 9th+ gen Intel and in particular the K skew need serious cooling and a case with good air flow.

ac13044

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
I tend to agree with the above aspect concerning streaming. The extra cores will really help. Everything else the 11600K will be better at, even if marginally. For this use case and assuming you would be ok with the gen 3 storage/pci the 10850K is a powerful pick for a great price.

Keep in mind anything 9th+ gen Intel and in particular the K skew need serious cooling and a case with good air flow.
Yea I had looked that up about the 9th gen cpu needing a cooler I plan on getting the NZXT Kraken X73 RGB AIO CPU Water Cooler - 360mm to cool my system anyways

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
Streaming is my last issue its just to stream my music podcast. so the 11600k should be fine and for everything I had mentioned

Yeah you should be good to go if it's just music ...this 10th gen 10700 beats out 10600K oc to 5.0 if I'm all core but not by much, except multi and rendering. In everything, single, multi, gaming, rendering...not to say 600K is bad, I justt saw streaming and was like you might want the extra 2 cores for almost same price.

ac13044

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
Yeah you should be good to go if it's just music ...this 10th gen 10700 beats out 10600K oc to 5.0 if I'm all core but not by much, except multi and rendering. In everything, single, multi, gaming, rendering...not to say 600K is bad, I justt saw streaming and was like you might want the extra 2 cores for almost same price.
I might keep that in mind buddie thanks for the tip extra cores would be a bonus

Reactions: Reaper_7799

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I might keep that in mind buddie thanks for the tip extra cores would be a bonus
The bad thing about DDR5 is when it's first released it will take it about a year to even catch up with DDR4 is if goes the same as usual.

Every switch has took about that long to catch up.

EDIT when DDR4 came out I was running DDR3 @2400 with 11 cas it kicked the crap out of DDR4.

ac13044

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
The bad thing about DDR5 is when it's first released it will take it about a year to even catch up with DDR4 is if goes the same as usual.

Every switch has took about that long to catch up.
Exactly ats why not worth 12th gen at this stage when its release so much will need work done so probs be about a year or 2 to even get it stable

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Exactly ats why not worth 12th gen at this stage when its release so much will need work done so probs be about a year or 2 to even get it stable
Everything changes depending on what the use of the PC is.

How many cores do you need. I can't answer that but you can look at your CPU usage and see if you need more cores or not.
(TIP) if you see your CPU usage % low then that is because your programs need more single/dual core speed so more cores are not helping. ( could be held back by another part but if your in like the 50% usage of the one you have then more than likely the single core speed is holding it back)

Check how much memory you are using if your running W10 8GB is probably not enough using work programs when you run out of memory your PC goes to craw mode.

EDIT for a gaming PC if your playing the newer AAA games then 16GB is really needed the number of cores need on the processor will very from game to game depending on the game engine used for the game (example warzone can use a lot more cores than most games)

A 10700K/ 11700K or if your a AMD fan 5600X/ 5800X is about all the average person needs, for memory get at least 16GB and a decent SSD for storage. (all depending on your expectations and budget)

I use some work programs and have 32GB of memory the most I have seen used is about 24GB

Last edited:
You probably want to upgrade to ddr5 once it's mature enough, as for now with the leaked alderlake benchmark with ddr5 4800 cl40, the difference is not that much. if you need a powerfull for now go ddr4, if you're on ddr3 and think thats enough for now you could wait for ddr5 platform and rams to reduce in price after mainstream release (probs 3-4 years depends on the world condition abt pcs) or buy a ddr4 platform once ddr5 become popular (used parts is still good).