12-inch Asus Eee Netbook Running on Nvidia Ion

Status
Not open for further replies.

coconutboy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I've helped a couple friends pick out their netbooks, but haven't bought one myself. This might finally be the one that I buy... if the price is right. An SSD larger than 8GB would be preferable, but I'm guessing since it's Ion Asus figures people will want more room to rip their movies etc

G

Looks like a great design!
The bump in resolution, large battery life, and the increase in 3D performance all look very delicious!

The Cons would be:
Too large bezel around the screen
Glossy finish
Too large screen size! I'd prefer a 1280*720 resolution @ 9 or 10" over a 1366x768 resolution on a 12" device!
Also a pity they didn't go with an Atom N280 instead, though that may bump up the price, and lower battery life.

Of the 11hours promoted of battery life, I guess 7 hours will be the best we'll get browsing.
Also the GPU is stronger than intel's integrated graphics chip, which means gaming on a device like this might result in lower battery life than the intel variant.

Because it's a 12" device, we'll probably not see this launched under $399.
That's why I'd prefer this laptop (with smaller bezel, and an Atom N280) with a 10" screen, which can be gotten for under $300 in the right stores!

It's launchtime is probably also pretty bad, seeing that in 3 months, intel will come up with a new chip, and probably most people are waiting for these laptops!
Although I'd say this 12" version might outperform intel's upcoming netbooks in 3D gaming experience!

michael ninja

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
My going theory is that Netbooks are so popular because they are finally the machine we have been waiting for.
That is - they are the personal assistant that actually works.
We have been through the original palm, smart phones, and various tiny computers.
Now the Netbooks actually do the things we always wanted those to do.
This latest version breaks that mold - it's just too big.
It's not ultra portable anymore. Why bother?

This may fill a role as the "mom-in-law" machine - but that is a smaller audience.
Everyone can use a cool Netbook - not everyone needs one you can't carry with you.

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I am confused. They said that this thing has nVidia "ION" but when they list the specs they have the nVidia 9400M. Isn't that 9400M just a laptop mobile chip? Or is this particular 9400M a smaller die size which they put under the ION moniker?

Am I right to be confused? or am I just reading stuff completely wrong?

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Bullheaded67[/nom]It is a netbook - not a notebook.[/citation]
Seems to me the only things keeping it a netbook instead of a cheap notebook are the Atom instead of Celeron processor and the apparent lack of an optical drive.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Looking pretty spiffy, been seeing a lot of attractive netbooks coming out lately. Maybe that will drive down the prices of the good ones...?

G

At a netbook I wonder first about the weight and the thickness. Do you know them?

G

Atom Inside = Still painfully slow. I'd much rather have some of AMD's new ultra-thin notebooks.

I though Intel was bullying companies into keeping the screens smaller than 12 inches?

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I realize it's a "netbook" and price is a driving factor, but I would much rather see a Core 2 Duo Mobile SU9600 (1.6Ghz, 3MB L2, 10W TDP) ULV CPU in this machine. Should be 2x-4x the speed of the Atom N270 and still offer 7+ hours of run-time. The SU9600 also supports VT and EM-64T, which combined with the Nvidia 9400M chipset would make an extremely useful machine (think MacBook Air like at 1/2 the price).

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
rule of bad design #1

The percentage of bezel width to screen is way to big. If you are going to make a mistake like that, at least try and hide it with a glass screen that covers the whole thing.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Sweet, must look closer into this but I still think I will pick this thin and light poor mans air up for $550.
Acer Aspire Timeline AS3810TZ-4880 13.3-Inch Laptop - 8+ Hour Battery Life
The Acer has 4Gb of DDR3 and 1366 x 768. The Asus beats it in graphics, the Acer has intel 4500 but the Acer has it on the processor using a new ultra low voltage P4 chip at 1.3GHz.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Why does everyone whine about battery life. Are all of you watching movies with these on 12 hour trips? A battery life of 5 hours or more is fantastic! My 19 inch laptop will go 2.5 hours and I've never drained it. There's always a plug somewhere. I can even watch a full x264 movie with batt life to spare. Does the rule of ultra portable mean you can't bring the power supply?

[citation][nom]kansur0[/nom]I am confused. They said that this thing has nVidia "ION" but when they list the specs they have the nVidia 9400M. Isn't that 9400M just a laptop mobile chip? Or is this particular 9400M a smaller die size which they put under the ION moniker?Am I right to be confused? or am I just reading stuff completely wrong?[/citation]
ION is a low(er) power chipset with onboard 9400 graphics. Its an ion alright.

ram1009

Distinguished
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]rule of bad design #1The percentage of bezel width to screen is way to big. If you are going to make a mistake like that, at least try and hide it with a glass screen that covers the whole thing.[/citation]

What rulebook are you quoteing from.....your own, obviously. Maybe they're leaving room for the screen size to increase in the future. Looks fine to me the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.