Question 120 vs 240 aio

Nov 30, 2019
Hi,

I'm wondering if i should go for a 120 AIO or a 240 one. i have a Ryzen 5 3600 and i'm pretty sure i cant fit an air cooler in it. Is the difference in the performance great or not that much?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I personally would not use a 120 AIO on any Ryzen 2000 or 3000 series CPU.
From everything I have read, the stock cooler from AMD will perform as well as pretty much every 120 AIO available.
I have a Ryzen 5 2600 (OC'd to 4 GHZ) with an Arctic 33 eSports Edition cooler (dual fan) that idles 30-32c and maxes out around 60-62c after hours of gaming or encoding.
I also have a Ryzen 7 3700x (with PBO enabled) with a Scythe Ninja 5 that idles at 29-32c and also maxes out around 60-62 after hours of gaming or encoding.

If I was getting and AIO for a Ryzen 5 3600 I would want a 240 AIO at the least and a 280 AIO would be an even better choice.

Reactions: RodroX and vMax
Yep as DMAN999 has said the stock cooler will do a fairly decent job on the 3600 though you can certainly improve on that by quiet some. A 120mm AIO will make a difference over the stock Wraith and a 240mm even more and a 280mm would be overkill (nothing wrong with overkill) but then a again a good after market air cooler will also do a good job. If you want to go AIO a 240mm will more than do a great job...

Reactions: RodroX
Hi, I agree with everyone here, I have a Ryzen 5 3600 and from my experience with a Deep Cool Gammaxx GTE, its way better than stock cooler to the point that its giving me lower MAX temps, with higher MAX frecuency boosts. But when runing at 100% its a bit noisy, not an annoying noise as the stock cooler, but if the PC case is over your desk near your head it may be too noise for you.

So if you wana go the AIO liquid cooler way I will also suggest getting atleast a 240mm one (woulnd't mind getting even a 280mm if your case allows it).

You have other options too, like Arctic Freezer 34 esport duo (pretty similar to the one that DMAN999 wrote about it) is not very expensive, have 2 fans that, according to all the reviews I saw and read, seems to be very quiet and perform better than the Gammaxx GTE I have.

But yeah AIO seems to be very appeling :)

Cheers