$1200 budget. need to build a performance desktop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
so because i own a P2 that makes me a fanboy?

in most threads, i recomend people purchase an intel processor. unless of course they are on a tight budget.

but comments like 'i7 > p2' are neither fair nor accurate, and make you sound like a fanboy.
neither architecture is 'better', they both have pros and cons.

but you;ve derailed the topic enough with your flames, so how about leaving the OP to get answered now?

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

If you honestly think the p2 is 'better' then maybe you need to look up some benchmarks. Nobody in their right mind would take a p2 over an i7 if they had the money - that is nonsense. Yes the Intel architecture is better because it takes less cycles for an i7 to calculate something than a p2 does, therefore, it is better due to architecture.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
again, im not sure if you're high or what....

i didnt say phenom ii is better. where did you get that from?

i said neither is better, since they both come out on top in different benchmarks. yes, intel i7 is usually the winner but it is also more expensive. which is one of its cons, and why it cant be called 'better'

if i7 was cheaper, then it would be 'better', but money is always a factor.

so seriously, how about less fanboyism?

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
the OP wants a 'performance system' , but from his usage , even a phenom x3@120 would rock ... he can go for the 955@165.

in spite of using an i5 myself , i dont think he needs an i5/i7(forget 1366 i7's) system . as video is not that important , he can also go for an 80gb ssd and perhaps even 8gb ram to make booting/shutdown and any applications lightning fast if he's bent on spending 1200$ .