[SOLVED] ~120FPS on a 60HZ monitor

dullaanees

Commendable
Jan 18, 2018
Hi, I don't have a suitable title for this so I'm just gonna go with this one (suggest me a better title pls)

Anyway, so I got this new gaming PC (my first one ever) the specs are :
Core i3-9100f
AMD RX 590 8gb
250gb SSD
250gb SSD 1TB HDD
Vengeance 2400 1x8gb Ram
H310 Motherboard

I already have a Samsung 60HZ curved monitor with FreeSync advanced technology (I can overclock it safely to at least 75hz)
I play Rainbow Six Siege and CSGO and with this new build I can get +120 fps on R6 and +200 fps on CSGO on Ultra settings

These are my questions :
1/ Am I going to be able to notice the 120fps or play on 120fps on my 75hz monitor?
2/ Do u have any suggestions or things to change about my build?
3/ Is it worth it to spend 300$ on a new 144hz monitor? (I don't have that kinda money I've been saving 600$ for 2 years to get this new PC)

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance to everyone :)

Solution
1. Na, you'll only see those extra frames if the monitor's refresh rate can keep up.

2. Better cpu, i5 9500 and another 8GB ram to make use of dual channel bandwidth + 16GB is the sweet spot nowadays. Dual channel bandwidth helps the cpu do more. Keep in mind though mixing ram is not guaranteed compared to ram bought in sets. If bought another 8GB ram and chance it, keeping to identical specs, timings, speed and voltage can increase chances.

3. Only if you're not satisfied with 75Hz. 75fps is pretty good. Keep in mind also 144fps does require a decent amount of gpu & cpu power to maintain. Depends on games of course. The cpu set's the fps cap, meaning, it pre-renders frames before the gpu receives so there could be a bottleneck at...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
1. Na, you'll only see those extra frames if the monitor's refresh rate can keep up.

2. Better cpu, i5 9500 and another 8GB ram to make use of dual channel bandwidth + 16GB is the sweet spot nowadays. Dual channel bandwidth helps the cpu do more. Keep in mind though mixing ram is not guaranteed compared to ram bought in sets. If bought another 8GB ram and chance it, keeping to identical specs, timings, speed and voltage can increase chances.

3. Only if you're not satisfied with 75Hz. 75fps is pretty good. Keep in mind also 144fps does require a decent amount of gpu & cpu power to maintain. Depends on games of course. The cpu set's the fps cap, meaning, it pre-renders frames before the gpu receives so there could be a bottleneck at 144fps. Either the gpu cant render as many or the cpu can't give.

Monitor suggestion;
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07G3YRT4H...ascsubtag=tomshardware-2306949284715709336-20

Reactions: dullaanees
Solution

dullaanees

Commendable
Jan 18, 2018

3. Only if you're not satisfied with 75Hz. 75fps is pretty good. Keep in mind also 144fps does require a decent amount of gpu & cpu power to maintain. Depends on games of course. The cpu set's the fps cap, meaning, it pre-renders frames before the gpu receives so there could be a bottleneck at 144fps. Either the gpu cant render as many or the cpu can't give.

Monitor suggestion;
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07G3YRT4H...ascsubtag=tomshardware-2306949284715709336-20
Thank you very much
I'll get another 8gb identical ram and stick with 75hz
I'll upgrade my CPU and Monitor in like a month or so, thanks again

Reactions: boju
Most people won’t tell the difference of the higher FPS on 60Hz however real enthusiasts or pro’s can because of the reduced latency, at 120fps there should be less delay between the frame drawn and the frame displayed.

Personally I don’t think the i3/i5 are a good choice when compared to Ryzen 3000 due to lower core/thread count. Even the i5 9600k can be pushed to its limits in some games when aiming for high FPS.

For RAM you want to use a matched kit. Buying 1 stick now and adding another later can have compatibility issues even when using same make and model. Using the same make and model reduces the chances of issues but it does not eliminate them.

For monitor it’s up to you. 144Hz will be noticeably smoother and there are lots of reviews on this topic. However 60/75Hz will still be enjoyable, if you find you really enjoy fast moving games you can look to upgrade later.

Reactions: dullaanees