120G SSD Cached with IRST - Not Fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaMan1

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I have an Asus P8Z68 -V Pro Gen 3 with I5 2500K , HyperX 120G ssd and Segate 500G HDD.
I set it up per instructdions with motherboard.
It works. It says it works, when I look in the Intel control center IRST it says Dive 0 48G, Dirve 1 64G which is the cache. The 48G section is unavailable to me.
A question might be, How do I get access to that 48G as it does not show up in Windows?
But first, I may not need to know that because there is no apparant speed up in booting or PassMark tests to confirm that it is worthwhile.
This is a new istallation and I only have Window and Office 2010 installed. I am not a gamer or overclocker, at least not yet. So booting and PassMark are my only confirmation
that it does not seem faster. My Segate 500G in 3Gbps on SATA 2 and tests in upper 700's on PassMark. With the Cache, Passmark can not tell what the drive is and it tests
in the upper 700s to low 800's (Score) so no real improvement there.

I knew about the 16GB minimum limit when I started this venture but missed the 64GB maximum limit for the cache. So I got too big a drive. I don't think the 120GB is large enough for a system drive by itself and a 240GB is out of my budget. What are my options?
It seems the cache is installed and working but not noticable in operation or testing. I used the download free version. BL 573084.PT
Can I speed it up, and figure how to use the other 48G, or should I take it out of Cache and use it as HDD?
I have 16GB 1600 memory and that tests very well. Overall PassMark 2104 and Disk 784 .

What to do? Dissapointed so far. Will have AutoCad and maybe Dirt 3 If I buy new video card, but for now cache my not help much. I just love technology.
Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. PS I only have 65 points in forum. Got 50 for signing up and another 50 for confirming my email, but just like my cache, I cant see the other 45 points.

Solution
The 120/128 gig SSD is the recommended size for a OS + program drive..
I'm Not a gamer either. Have 4 systems with 120/128 gig SSD for OS + programs and only using around 40 Gigs currently - that still leaves room for more programs. Have pretty much the standard "office" type programs + Anydvd, Blu-ray player/editing software, Photo software and a Video coversion program.

Just follow the tweeks and you will be fine.

If you look at the reviews of SRT, you will will find that almost all include a bootom line - With a . 90 gig SSD, use for a OS + program, Anot as a srt drive.
The 120/128 gig SSD is the recommended size for a OS + program drive..
I'm Not a gamer either. Have 4 systems with 120/128 gig SSD for OS + programs and only using around 40 Gigs currently - that still leaves room for more programs. Have pretty much the standard "office" type programs + Anydvd, Blu-ray player/editing software, Photo software and a Video coversion program.

Just follow the tweeks and you will be fine.

If you look at the reviews of SRT, you will will find that almost all include a bootom line - With a . 90 gig SSD, use for a OS + program, Anot as a srt drive.

Solution

MegaMan1

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

Thank you. Just hate to install all that crap again. It takes two days to get all the updates and stuff. Have no data to loose yet, so guess I will make it a boot drive.

MegaMan1

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

Thank you too. I selected your as the best answer as you have almosts 20 years on Rolli59. I think I get more points for selecting the best answer as well as you getting some, but you guys don't need points.
Thank you both.

PS - Once installed, all drivers loaded, and all programs installed - And you are happy with it - DON'T forget to use Windows 7 back-up (in controll Panel) to make an Image of your C drive. It sure BEATS re-installin OS, drivers, and all thoes Programs. Tool me about 10 -> 15 Minutes to get a replacement drive up and running. Imaged Agillity III SSD, removed drive, installed Samsung 830 and reinstalled the image to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.