[SOLVED] 12100F not reaching max turbo

Dec 30, 2022
I've just upgraded my pc parts for the first time in about 10 years and I'm a little bit out of the loop so I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious here.

My i3 12100F won't go above 4.1Ghz under single core or multi core load. It is advertised to turbo up to 4.3Ghz. I have tried a few stress tests, mainly cinebench, all with the same result.

Everything looks in order to me in the bios but my knowledge in bios settings is not the best. I can also confirm this is not thermal throttling or anything. My cpu never goes above 68c under load.

Any help is appreciated.

my motherboard is a Gigabyte B660M Gaming DDR4

Solution
Max boost scales with the number of active cores. Been that way for a long time.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-12100f/22.html
If there are more than 2 cores active at any time - which is really easy to do, by the way - then you will never see the 4.3ghz.
Now, all this is assuming Windows was clean installed and the motherboard chipset was updated.

Of course Cinebench isn't going to go over 4.1ghz; you loaded all the cores. Even if you only ran the single core test, that's not the only thing running on your PC.
You'd have to disable 2 cores to be able to see 4.3ghz, and that wouldn't be a great idea at all.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Max boost scales with the number of active cores. Been that way for a long time.
If there are more than 2 cores active at any time - which is really easy to do, by the way - then you will never see the 4.3ghz.
Now, all this is assuming Windows was clean installed and the motherboard chipset was updated.

Of course Cinebench isn't going to go over 4.1ghz; you loaded all the cores. Even if you only ran the single core test, that's not the only thing running on your PC.
You'd have to disable 2 cores to be able to see 4.3ghz, and that wouldn't be a great idea at all.

Solution
The maximum amount of turbo boost decreases as more cores are active.

Are the C states enabled in the BIOS?

If the C states are not enabled or if they are not working correctly, Intel Turbo Boost will not work correctly. Try using HWiNFO. It can show what C states are being used when your computer is idle at the desktop. My cores average 99% of their time in C7 when my computer is idle at the desktop.

nYJGtMV.png

Dec 30, 2022
The maximum amount of turbo boost decreases as more cores are active.

Are the C states enabled in the BIOS?

If the C states are not enabled or if they are not working correctly, Intel Turbo Boost will not work correctly. Try using HWiNFO. It can show what C states are being used when your computer is idle at the desktop. My cores average 99% of their time in C7 when my computer is idle at the desktop.

nYJGtMV.png

All C state settings are untouched and on Auto in bios.

72Ekc2q.png

Dec 30, 2022

I see. Thanks for the info.

So you're saying everything seems fine to you? Nothing to worry about?