[SOLVED] 12700F vs 12700K - Which runs hotter?

KyaraM

Admirable
On many motherboards the K will run hotter as it's power limits get unlocked. The F is a locked cpu, so PL1/PL2 rules apply.
But that can be pretty easily changed. A good mobo even should ask which settings you want to enforce when you first boot into it; stock air should be the correct one for PL1 and PL2 set correctly on the K-model. Plus, a 12700F was shown in tests conducted by a German PC hardware magazine to be seriously hamstrung even in some games with its 65W PL1, so I would change that anyways. Sure, many, especially older, games don't care; but some do, and there it's a liability.

Then again, without OC even a middling cooler can be enough for either CPU with a little undervolting, and I would recommend that either way for either CPU. It massively improves power consumption, which would also increase the number of games that can run within the 65W power limit on the non-K without higher PL1, and heat as well. It's a double win.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Even good boards don't ask that. They obfusticate and confuse it with stupid sounding settings like 'standard' and 'Optimized Performance' modes etc. Most ppl don't really read the manual or at best even have any understanding of it, they see Performance and click it enabled believing it's going to do as advertised and make the pc faster for free.

And then have absolutely no idea why their cpu is getting toasty, since they are at stock settings, didn't overclock the cpu etc, just enabled the Xmp, as the only 'Setting' they changed on Bios.

Last edited:

mazinyo

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
But that can be pretty easily changed. A good mobo even should ask which settings you want to enforce when you first boot into it; stock air should be the correct one for PL1 and PL2 set correctly on the K-model. Plus, a 12700F was shown in tests conducted by a German PC hardware magazine to be seriously hamstrung even in some games with its 65W PL1, so I would change that anyways. Sure, many, especially older, games don't care; but some do, and there it's a liability.

Then again, without OC even a middling cooler can be enough for either CPU with a little undervolting, and I would recommend that either way for either CPU. It massively improves power consumption, which would also increase the number of games that can run within the 65W power limit on the non-K without higher PL1, and heat as well. It's a double win.

Undervolting will not decrease the CPU performance in games?

mazinyo

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
May I ask why are you asking?

The answer is that both are more similar than different, but the potential is that the K could run hotter.
If you are looking at this info for a build, then adding the rest of your parts would promote a more useful answer.

Yes this is for a build and I am asking since I bought the F version as I have no intention to OC, and I was wondering if the Dark Rock 4 which I already ordered will be enough to keep the CPU under normal temps while gaming
MOBO Gigabyte B660M AORUS PRO DDR4

Last edited:
Running a 12700K and the temps have never been bad. UK based (so generally pretty cool) but on average I idle at 25 degrees C, gaming 40's to 5's and when I run benchmark CPU tests like Cinebench R23, I top out at around 80 degrees C and that is with an overclock applied Personally I think there will be no difference between the F and K models. As you are not overclocking the Dark Rock should be more than fine especially for gaming workloads....Which Dark Rock model by the way?

mazinyo

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Running a 12700K and the temps have never been bad. UK based (so generally pretty cool) but on average I idle at 25 degrees C, gaming 40's to 5's and when I run benchmark CPU tests like Cinebench R23, I top out at around 80 degrees C and that is with an overclock applied Personally I think there will be no difference between the F and K models. As you are not overclocking the Dark Rock should be more than fine especially for gaming workloads....Which Dark Rock model by the way?

Its the Dark Rock 4. Thank you

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Everyone assumes you must increase voltages when overclocking. The opposite is more commonly true.

Both Intel and Amd have cpus. Those cpus are made of silicon. There's no telling exactly what any given cpu will actually require to be stable as it changes depending on that silicon. So Intel and Amd deliberately err on the side of caution and set stock voltages higher than most need, just to cover All the cpus.

With OC, you increase speeds, which adds heat, the work is done faster, which adds heat, more work is done, which adds heat.... So part of overclocking is to try and remove as much heat as possible. That's done by Lowering voltages as low as possible and still remain stable.

A decent OC can actually run faster, with lower voltages and lower temps than stock. Depending on how much you put into the OC tweaks and time.

Reactions: mazinyo

KyaraM

Admirable
Undervolting will not decrease the CPU performance in games?
No, it won't, and neither will it hurt benchmark scores. I'm getting 22800 points in chinebench r23, for example, which is a good score for this CPU. As mentioned above, those CPUs got kind of a voltage buffer from the manufacturer to ensure that every CPU actually runs, even though most don't need it. I followed this video here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0plFO6t_Vs&t=52

Ended up with the same target voltage and offset, though I have a feeling mine might be able to go a big lower, even.

Even good boards don't ask that. They obfusticate and confuse it with stupid sounding settings like 'standard' and 'Optimized Performance' modes etc. Most ppl don't really read the manual or at best even have any understanding of it, they see Performance and click it enabled believing it's going to do as advertised and make the pc faster for free.

And then have absolutely no idea why their cpu is getting toasty, since they are at stock settings, didn't overclock the cpu etc, just enabled the Xmp, as the only 'Setting' they changed on Bios.
My MSI Pro Z690-A did when I factory reset it. Gave me three options, ar cooler stock, aid cooler custom, and water cooler. So that no board does is certainly not true.

Yes this is for a build and I am asking since I bought the F version as I have no intention to OC, and I was wondering if the Dark Rock 4 which I already ordered will be enough to keep the CPU under normal temps while gaming
MOBO Gigabyte B660M AORUS PRO DDR4
You are good.

The F suffix indicates the lack of integrated graphics.
The K suffix does indicate the ability to overclock, but not on a B660 based motherboard.
The K suffix version will have a slightly higher turbo capability than the 12700.
All in all, these are comparable processors.
These chips are binned and the better ones are used in K processors.
Overclocking today is no longer a way to get something for nothing.
It is usually better to let the default turbo mechanism take place.
Turbo will increase the performance of a few cores when conditions permit.
One of the conditions is a reasonable cpu temperature so it is good to have a good cooler.
The dr4 is a good cooler.

Do not worry too much about cpu heat.
The cpu monitors it's own temperature and if it detects a dangerous temperature, it will slow down a bit or shut off.
That is at about 100c.

The 12700F is but a 65W TDP CPU...., short of using a mainboard encouraging overriding all default power/boost duration limits, one would not expect to almost match a 12700K's clock speeds for any more than 30-90 seconds or so... Do not expect it to be 'almost like having a 12700K' unless on a Z690 mainboard and with judicious use of assorted TDP/duration limit overrides...

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2700f-processor-25m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

Certainly, if no overrides of TDP and boost duration are done, the 12700/12700F (assuming an equal cooling solution, vice the semi-acceptable factory cooler) with it's 65 W TDP will run cooler than the 12700K with it's 125W TDP (190 W in Turbo)....(even with assorted overrides, it should run a few degrees cooler by virtue of it's lower base/boost/turbo speeds...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
(even with assorted overrides, it should run a few degrees cooler by virtue of it's lower base/boost/turbo speeds...)
In general higher tiered CPUs have better binning so using the same amount of power they can reach higher clocks/performance but also the other way around, if they do the same work they will use less power/lower clocks and be cooler.

last two entries in this chart, the 12900ks gets clearly better performance than the 12900k with both locked to 125W, it's not a huge difference but still a clear one.
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...-core-i9-12900ks-im-test-update.html?start=14
zKe0Vme.jpg