[SOLVED] 12700k Thermals

Dec 3, 2021
Hello,

just got my 12700k installed with a 360 Corsair AIO with the retrofit kit. Somehow i get Idle temps between 35-40 C while ambient temp is at 26 C. What kind of thermals are you getting? Under full load it goes up to 90C and while gmaing between 60 and 70C with 5ghz all Pcore and about 1.4volt. Dont know if this is normal for the new 12th gen CPUs.

BR
Niklas

Solution
If the CPU is outputting heat it is always going to be a little warmer than the water temp (it must if any energy transfer is to occur). The water can absorb a lot of energy, so its temperature will stay relatively close to all the water in the loop. The metal in the heatspreader, TIM, and the silicon substrate itself are all going to change rapidly but not as quickly as the CPU itself. (Also keep in mind that you are seeing the results of the sensor, likely averaged, then displayed some likely 30-40ms minimum from when that temperature recording actually happened.)

I agree, idle temperatures are mostly meaningless. You will see better numbers from a water cooled GPU, direct die, larger die, it more closely will match the water...
Dec 3, 2021
I don't own one yet, but I don't see anything there that looks peculiar. 35 to 40 idle in a fairly warm room (26 C aka 79F) is pretty good.....that's about what I get on a 6600K with a medium sized air cooler.
Hmm ok. Still seems a bit high for mee since the colant temp is at about 30 C. Isnt that too much of a difference between cooler and CPU? Im not shure if i messed up the thermal paste. But even if i did this shouldnt make a big difference from what i have seen im some videos.

I know almost nothing about liquid cooling.........but I seriously doubt I'd get excited about so-called "full load" temps regardless. I'd instead concentrate on temps while doing stuff I actually do.....which I guess in your case is idling on up to gaming, which is 35 degrees on up to 70 degrees.

Of course, some people will go to great lengths to drive temps down from 56 to 52 as if it was a contest. I have no idea if you think that way.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If the CPU is outputting heat it is always going to be a little warmer than the water temp (it must if any energy transfer is to occur). The water can absorb a lot of energy, so its temperature will stay relatively close to all the water in the loop. The metal in the heatspreader, TIM, and the silicon substrate itself are all going to change rapidly but not as quickly as the CPU itself. (Also keep in mind that you are seeing the results of the sensor, likely averaged, then displayed some likely 30-40ms minimum from when that temperature recording actually happened.)

I agree, idle temperatures are mostly meaningless. You will see better numbers from a water cooled GPU, direct die, larger die, it more closely will match the water temperature at idle.

Best to concentrate on the maximum temperatures under load.

Solution

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Hello,

just got my 12700k installed with a 360 Corsair AIO with the retrofit kit. Somehow i get Idle temps between 35-40 C while ambient temp is at 26 C. What kind of thermals are you getting? Under full load it goes up to 90C and while gmaing between 60 and 70C with 5ghz all Pcore and about 1.4volt. Dont know if this is normal for the new 12th gen CPUs.

BR
Niklas
I have Noctua NS-D15 on mine was getting 40c while gaming in Hitman 3 max details. GPU is at 65c.

TRENDING THREADS