128->256 will I notice the difference?

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just ordered pc133 cas2 from Crucial and that is going to make my total amount of ram to 256. I mostly play games and wanted to know am I going to notice a big difference? I am running Win 98 SE. Thanks to all who relpy.

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."

G

You wont notice any difference mate I don't think. There is no actual (as in demonstrable in benchmarks) benefit after 192MB but even this is only on average 2-4% up from 128MB, the margin is slightly higher in Windows 2000 but that itself runs about 2% slower than 98 so it's swings and roundabouts really, save you cash it the best advice and if you want a quick system get a couple of cheap(ish) 7200RPM 2MB cache IDE hard drives and set them up in a RAID array for about £200 for 20GB drives. That'll see you much better than another chunk of RAM I promise. You'll hardly wait for any disk activity at all and that's a big monkey off the back of most modern PC's nowadays cos they're all so fast once stuff is in the RAM.

G

Sorry one final thing. Unless your current RAM is CAS2 you won't be able to run the new stuff at 2 either, 3 like the old one only sorry, and it just doesn't pay to try either, I know to my expense?!?!!

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well it is cas2 the one I ordered and the one I have in my system is cas2 also. Oh well mymistake I guess I wll try it out if it doesn't speed games up any bit I will think about taking it back. Thanks for the reply.

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Not too big of a difference if you're just playing games, but probably a much bigger difference if you're using applications like Photoshop.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://zidane222.cjb.net" target="_new">http://zidane222.cjb.net</A></b>

G

You're going to notice a speed increase in context switches such as when you go from a game screen to the desktop screen (by pressing alt+Tab, for example), but memory bandwidth is what really is going to up your performance, not amount (unless you are already starved for space). That's why DDR is such a great thing. I just recently did the same thing as you and bought 128MB more. Since memory is so cheap right now I thought I would capitalize. Anyway, a context switch would also involve situations you see in games like Need for Speed and MotoCross Madness2, where you are switching from the racing environment back to the menu mode. These have improved for me by maybe a couple of seconds (down from 5 to 3 seconds, maybe). The person telling about hardrives was right too. In a case like ours where we already have enough RAM, other things are going to operate as the bottleneck. The harddrive is probably the culprit in my case too in a lot of situations as being the bottleneck.

- Every private citizen has a public responsibility

G

More RAM in Windows 2000 Pro is helpful, the OS takes 64mb of RAM just for itself without any other applications running. I upgraded from 64mb to 192mb, since then Counter-Strike and office applications run smoothly.