128MB pc100 showing as 64MB in post

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotoma

Distinguished
May 26, 2002

Hi all

As header. Aida16 also displays only 64MB of the branded Adata SDRAM
PC100(2) 128MB*4. I've visited crucial for info but the
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/M715.html mobo isn't listed. I removed the SIMMs
first and later tried changing the DIMM voltage from the default 3.3v to 5v
and back again, but it made no difference. The system has no HD fitted. The
module has been taken out and put back in a few times to check that it
wasn't seated incorrectly. I don't think the board has ever had sdram
fitted.
The board spec says:
Provides 2 DIMM and 4 SIMM sockets to support SDRAM/ EDO /FPM memory modules
up to 384MB. That's 128MB in each of the 2 DIMMs and with compatable simms
to get the total 384MB.

Any ideas why the 128MB is only displaying as 64MB? Surely if it were the
wrong type it would not work at all?

Thanks if you can. :))

Scotoma

scotoma

Distinguished
May 26, 2002

"Conor" <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <zQiac.6644$ly3.854@news-lhr.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> me@play.co.uk says...
> > Hi all
> >
> > As header. Aida16 also displays only 64MB of the branded Adata SDRAM
> > PC100(2) 128MB*4. I've visited crucial for info but the
> > http://www.pcchips.com.tw/M715.html mobo isn't listed. I removed the
SIMMs
> > first and later tried changing the DIMM voltage from the default 3.3v to
5v
> > and back again, but it made no difference. The system has no HD fitted.
The
> > module has been taken out and put back in a few times to check that it
> > wasn't seated incorrectly. I don't think the board has ever had sdram
> > fitted.
> > The board spec says:
> > Provides 2 DIMM and 4 SIMM sockets to support SDRAM/ EDO /FPM memory
modules
> > up to 384MB. That's 128MB in each of the 2 DIMMs and with compatable
simms
> > to get the total 384MB.
> >
> > Any ideas why the 128MB is only displaying as 64MB? Surely if it were
the
> > wrong type it would not work at all?
> >
> You cannot use both DIMMS and SIMMS on the board at the same time. Also
> the motherboard doesn't support high density SDRAM DIMMS which it would
> appear you're trying to use hence it sees 64MB.

Hi Conor
Thanks for your reply. :))
Can a mobo be enabled to support high density dimms with a bios update?
Scotoma

"Conor" <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1ad49e948539444098a1da@news.claranews.com...
> In article <BWkac.8117$ly3.604@news-lhr.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> me@play.co.uk says...
>
> > Hi Conor
> > Thanks for your reply. :))
> > Can a mobo be enabled to support high density dimms with a bios update?
> > Scotoma
> >
> No, it is a hardware design feature.
>
> To get compatible memory, use the Memeory Selector at
> www.crucial.co.uk. They will offer a no quibble refund if the RAM
> doesn't work if you've chosen it using the selector and it has a
> lifetime warranty.

I've seen situations where a BIOS upgrade enabled recognition
of memory that would not work before the upgrade, but I don't
remember the exact details of why it wouldn't work. If there is
a newer version of the BIOS, it might be worth a try.

scotoma

Distinguished
May 26, 2002

"Conor" <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <BWkac.8117$ly3.604@news-lhr.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> me@play.co.uk says...
>
> > Hi Conor
> > Thanks for your reply. :))
> > Can a mobo be enabled to support high density dimms with a bios update?
> > Scotoma
> >
> No, it is a hardware design feature.
>
> To get compatible memory, use the Memeory Selector at
> www.crucial.co.uk. They will offer a no quibble refund if the RAM
> doesn't work if you've chosen it using the selector and it has a
> lifetime warranty.

Thanks Conor. :) I've found an outlet for double sided sdram. It's not
cheap stuff though!

Scotoma

scotoma

Distinguished
May 26, 2002

"L David Matheny" <ldmnews1@netassoc.net> wrote in message
> "Conor" <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > In article <BWkac.8117$ly3.604@news-lhr.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> > me@play.co.uk says...
> >
> > > Hi Conor
> > > Thanks for your reply. :))
> > > Can a mobo be enabled to support high density dimms with a bios
update?
> > > Scotoma
> > >
> > No, it is a hardware design feature.
> >
> > To get compatible memory, use the Memeory Selector at
> > www.crucial.co.uk. They will offer a no quibble refund if the RAM
> > doesn't work if you've chosen it using the selector and it has a
> > lifetime warranty.
> >
> I've seen situations where a BIOS upgrade enabled recognition
> of memory that would not work before the upgrade, but I don't
> remember the exact details of why it wouldn't work. If there is
> a newer version of the BIOS, it might be worth a try.

Hi L David Matheny

Thanks for your reply. :)
I've just put a new HD in so I'll give updating the bios a try. The double
sided sdram costs more than pc100. !!! lol. Rare stuff.

Scotoma

"Scotoma" <me@play.co.uk> wrote in message news:<wGEac.16532$ly3.7862@news-lhr.blueyonder.co.uk>...
> "L David Matheny" <ldmnews1@netassoc.net> wrote in message
> > "Conor" <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > In article <BWkac.8117$ly3.604@news-lhr.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> > > me@play.co.uk says...

> update?
> > > >
> > > No, it is a hardware design feature.
> > >
> > > To get compatible memory, use the Memeory Selector at
> > > www.crucial.co.uk. They will offer a no quibble refund if the RAM
> > > doesn't work if you've chosen it using the selector and it has a
> > > lifetime warranty.
> > >
> > I've seen situations where a BIOS upgrade enabled recognition
> > of memory that would not work before the upgrade, but I don't
> > remember the exact details of why it wouldn't work. If there is
> > a newer version of the BIOS, it might be worth a try.
> >

> Hi L David Matheny
>
> Thanks for your reply. :)
> I've just put a new HD in so I'll give updating the bios a try. The double
> sided sdram costs more than pc100. !!! lol. Rare stuff.
>
> Scotoma

I pulled out a 200MHz Pentium out of the garbage last year, and while
it was pretty much identical to the computer I was using at the time,
one thing better was that it took DIMM memory. I bought a 128meg DIMM
for twenty dollars (Canadian) a couple of months later. The price
was too good to ignore, but of course it was too high density for
the computer.

But even when throwing out half that memory, it was a great deal.
I forget what I paid for an extra 4K for my second computer, back
in 1981. I know I paid $80 for 8 64K by 1 DRAM ICs in 1984. I
paid ten dollars each for 1meg SIMMs in the fall of 1996.

So I was prepared to use that junk computer with 96megs (half the
128meg DIMM, plus one of the 32meg DIMMs it came with), but before
I got around to it, I got a better computer. And then it turns
out that DIMM doesn't work at all with this latest computer.

Michael