Question 12900K or 5950X for productivity?

yoshiii1

Reputable
Mar 28, 2019
Hello,

I am building a computer for 3D design, 3D rendering, movie editing, graphic design and gaming.

What would be better, 12900K or a 5950X? I don't know if I will build new stuff coming out, too expensive. I don't have a desktop.

Lutfij

Titan
Either processor will be good for the job. Where are you located? Often times, region wise, an AMD processor might be priced more competitively than Intel and on the other end of the spectrum, it's highly possible that an AMD platform might cost more when you factor in all parts in a build when compared to Intel, with regards to region, that is.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Hello,

I am building a computer for 3D design, 3D rendering, movie editing, graphic design and gaming.

What would be better, 12900K or a 5950X? I don't know if I will build new stuff coming out, too expensive. I don't have a desktop.

Simple answer:

5950X and 12900K trade blows in rendering, but I would say rendering leans a bit toward the 5950X, however margins are small and results vary by the specific rendering app.

12900K wins at pretty much everything else, and specifically if you are going to use the Adobe apps then Intel is significantly faster in most of those.

This will of course vary depending on your build, but all else being equal the 12900K is faster at almost everything.