Question 12th Gen CPU Upgrade

Dec 11, 2022
Hey guys, I’m considering upgrading my i5-12600K to an i7-12700K, my motherboard is an MSI MPG Z690 Edge and I was wondering if I replace my previous cpu do I have to re-install drivers?, like bios, wi-fi, bluetooth, wireless, Ethernet etc…, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Your bios should have supported both the 12th-gen i5 and i7 with the same bios, so unless you move to 13th-gen I would say you should be okay. Having said that, make sure you do not want to upgrade to 13th-gen before buying another 12th-gen CPU. You may need to update your bios before installing a 13th-gen CPU.

Dec 11, 2022
Your bios should have supported both the 12th-gen i5 and i7 with the same bios, so unless you move to 13th-gen I would say you should be okay. Having said that, make sure you do not want to upgrade to 13th-gen before buying another 12th-gen CPU. You may need to update your bios before installing a 13th-gen CPU.
Alright thanks bro

Drivers are motherboard related so no driver updates are necessary.
If you have a current bios, you should be able to drop in a 12700K.But, any performance improvement will not get noticed.
You are adding 4 threads and a small amount of single thread performance.
The i5-13600K would be better at a similar cost.
The i7-13700K would be much better. You will need to update bios to currency first, then it is a drop in.