[SOLVED] +12V climbing up to 14V (and then turning off the PC) with resource drain: is it the PSU?

May 30, 2022
Hello All
A few months ago I assembled a new desktop: new MOBO (+CPU, RAM), old PSU and GPU (and storages).

All fine at the beginning. Since a few weeks, as soon as I use some "demanding" software (FPS gaming, but more recently also a simple Excel sheet), the desktop shuts down all of a sudden and tries to restart to no good. I have to wait some time (an hour) to get it to restart correctly.
I have installed HW Info to monitor what's happening: it turns out the +12V supply, with the "demanding" software launched, starts climbing up to 14V (and then shuts down).
Is it the PSU failing? It only has a few years. However, this is my full configuration (NEW means purchased at the beginning of this year, OLD was re-used from my previous one):

1. CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (NEW)
  2. MoBo: MSI B460M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard (NEW)
  3. RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (NEW)
  4. GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB StormX Video Card (OLD)
  5. PSU: XFX TS 430 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (OLD)
  6. Storage #1: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (OLD)
  7. Storage #2: SanDisk SSD PLUS 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (OLD)
  8. Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case (NEW)
  9. OS: Win11
Thanks a lot in advance if anyone has any suggestion!

Solution
That PSU could very well be the issue. I cannot find any information on what platform the XFX is based on. However, I am making a guess it is the Seasonic S12II since XFX uses a lot of Seasonic PSUs. If this were 2012 that would have been a good PSU. That said it isn't and shouldn't be used in any new build.
That PSU could very well be the issue. I cannot find any information on what platform the XFX is based on. However, I am making a guess it is the Seasonic S12II since XFX uses a lot of Seasonic PSUs. If this were 2012 that would have been a good PSU. That said it isn't and shouldn't be used in any new build.

Reactions: Unforgiven79
Solution