13 Years of Nvidia Graphics Cards

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reasonablevoice

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
[citation][nom]harrycat88[/nom]On every Nvidia based card I purchased, I had to turn around and replace it with something else. I've learned my lesson to never purchase another Nvidia based product again. [/citation]

I haven't owned as many cards as you have, I've gone from the TNT2 to geforce 2 Pro which I used for many a year till the 7800 GS AGP until now with the 8800 GTS(G92). I haven't had any problems with ANY of those cards, in fact I really loved my Geforce 2 since I was able to use it for so many years, five in fact. I'm no Nvidia fan boi, if I was buying today I'd get a 4870. I work in computer service & repair and usually if a customer has multiple different products not work for them its user error. Just saying.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Fun article to read! Lots I didn't know, but little niches I did know because I did research for a system during certain years. ATi Next Please!

G

1.panzer dragoon
2.quake 2
3. halflife
4. quake 3
5. star trek armada? ,
6. deus ex
7. giants: citizen kabuto
8. unknown
9. battlefield 1942
10. halo
11. unknown
12. max payne 2
13 unknown
14 dues ex 2
15 the sims 2
16. world of warcraft
17. surpeme commander

GameOverMan

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
5 is X-Wing Alliance
8 - Combat Flight Simulator 3 (Battle for Europe)
11 - Xpand Rally, perhaps
13 - Age of Mythology, as someone said earlier
15 - Knights of the Old Republic
16 - The Sims 2
17 - World of Warcraft
18 - Company of Heroes
19 - Supreme Commander

Schepp

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Some suggestions for you the check for mistakes:

- from what I recall, the Riva TNT was called "TwinTexel" because it had 2 texture-units per pipeline and therefore having double the texel-output compared to the pixel-output - it still had only 1 pipeline. The Voodoo 2 had 2 of them, but single-texel. Therefore the faster clocked TNT2 was only faster than Voodoo 2 when there was a heavy usage of texture-data (e.g. color + shadow-map). The other times it was slower.

- TNT2s main "topic" was 32-bit-color-depth, but in fact it was still too slow for that. But NV liked to put the finger on 3Dfx's wound.

- a GeForce 2 "Ti" was released only much later, when the GeForce 3 Tis came out. Not in the beginning.

- the first release of the GeForce 3 had no Ti-scheme and sat performancewise in between the later released Ti 200 and 500 (think of it as a Ti-350 performancewise). It was discontinued when the Tis arrived.

- and I think, the GeForce 4 Ti-4800 was the AGP-8X-version of the Ti-4400 (AGP-4X), not the 4600.

Just FYI to speak to this quote;

"With the GeForce 7900 Nvidia also used, for the first time, a technique its competitors had already been using: dual-GPU cards. The 7900GX2 and 7950GX2 had two G71s in parallel."

You forgot a few the Gigabyte 3D1 (GF6600 and 6800 based);
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte,954.html
and the ASUS EN6800GT-Dual & G70 based EN7800GT-Dual.

All those were dual GPU cards, and unlike the GX2 they were dual GPU single cards, which is what the others were doing (ATi [unsuccesfully] and XGI [you judge the success]); the GX2 was the first to do dual gpu - dual cards w/ single slot.

PS in your description of an ROP in a G80/G92 it is not a 'render pipeline' it's a R-aster OP-eration/OP-erand Unit or aka Raster Operation/Output Processor. You are consistent in quoting the G70's ROP count (16) as the render pipeline instead of the pixel pipeline (24), but I would say that most people consider it to be the pixel pipeline and that once they uncoupled the pixel-pie and ROP in the G70 you would no longer include the ROPs in the 'RenderPipeline' count since it's not a traditional 'pipe' anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.