Question 13600K or 14600K for this setup ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Since my office PC has a i7-7700K and this CPU is not compatible with Windows 11, I decided to upgrade my office PC to 13600K or 14600K but I am wondering which one. I am also playing some games on this PC too..I am also building a 14900K rig for gaming.

Specs:
  • Z690 AORUS Elite AX DDR4
  • CPU contact frame
  • Arctic MX-6
  • Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
  • Case: Cougar MX410 Mesh
  • 3x120mm Arctic P12 PWM intake fans
  • 3x120mm Arctic P12 PWM exhaust fans
  • Undervolting
  • PL1=PL2=181W
Notice that I am using a DRP4 which is an air cooler. Is this cooler sufficient for either 13600K or 14600K ?

If I run the Cinebench R23 multi-core test, what will be the maximum temperature for the CPU package ? I want to be below 80C(CPU package) when stress testing with Cinebench R23 multi-core.

Do you recommend selling the DRP4 and getting a 240 AIO ?

May 12, 2024
The CPU comes down to which fits better in your budget. As long as the CPU won't be at 100% usage a lot then I think your Be Quiet should be good for cooling with about 50cfm. Or the Thermalright peerless assassin is a good budget option that would be great at 66cfm.

Reactions: 35below0
If I run the Cinebench R23 multi-core test, what will be the maximum temperature for the CPU package ? I want to be below 80C(CPU package) when stress testing with Cinebench R23 multi-core.
It depends, but either processor is going to use 181W for around a minute, depending on the actual PL2 time set by the motherboard. 181W requires a really beefy cooler to keep the temps down.

But I wouldn't worry about the package temperature that much. The CPUs are designed to work at high temperatures like this. But if you really want it under 80C, then the only thing I can think of that'll keep it down there is a 360mm AIO.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
It depends, but either processor is going to use 181W for around a minute, depending on the actual PL2 time set by the motherboard. 181W requires a really beefy cooler to keep the temps down.

But I wouldn't worry about the package temperature that much. The CPUs are designed to work at high temperatures like this. But if you really want it under 80C, then the only thing I can think of that'll keep it down there is a 360mm AIO.

Now since I have the cooler already I think I will use it and If I am not happy with the temps, I could always get an AIO ... the case though only supports 240mm AIO. is 240mm AIO enough ? or it must be a 360 ?

What will be the max temp with R23 multi-core stress test with this air cooler (DRP4) ? with a 240 AIO ? and with a 360mm AIO ? (approx) (at PL1=PL2=181W )

Also, for game emulator use(RPCS3, Xenia, etc..), Does the 13600K beat the 12900K ?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Why bother with an AIO when a good air cooler gets the job done? I think a 360 radiator is minimum for AIO, elsewise you're kinda wasting your money.

Unless you want clean looks. That is definetly an advantage.
Also, for game emulator use(RPCS3, Xenia, etc..), Does the 13600K beat the 12900K ?
The 13600K beats the 12900K in everything, so yes.

For your office PC, you might be happy even with a lower end CPU with a stock cooler, so i certainly wouldn't rush out and buy a moderately good liquid cooler.

What sort of gaming will you do on that PC?

Also, to answer your question, whichever is cheaper and/or available. The 14th is very slightly better but if it costs more, why bother?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
What sort of gaming will you do on that PC?

I will run game emulators and some older games(2016-2021, 1440p) ... I am also building a 14900K rig for last gen games.

So you're saying I should stick with DRP4 ? I see that you are pairing 13600K with a NH-D15. I have heard that the NH-D15 performs slightly better than DRP4 but DRP4 is quieter.

What is the max temp you are getting with Cinebench R23 multi-core ? (NH-D15 + 13600K) ?

Also, to answer your question, whichever is cheaper and/or available. The 14th is very slightly better but if it costs more, why bother?

Which one runs cooler though ? I can get the 13600K for $350 CAD and the 14600K for $405 CAD.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
So you're saying I should stick with DRP4 ? I see that you are pairing 13600K with a NH-D15. I have heard that the NH-D15 performs slightly better than DRP4 but DRP4 is quieter.
Dark Rock Pro 4 is a good cooler so unless it's insufficient for you, yeah probably keep it.
The NH-D15 performs really well for me. Highest temperature under load, under normal conditions was 71C. But ambient temperature, OC or power profiles as well as the exact load are different across different PCs so the 71C is meaningless. Not entirely but, you know.

If you're interested in the NH-D15, maybe wait until the new one is out? https://www.tomshardware.com/news/noctua-reveals-2nd-gen-nh-d15-cpu-cooler-for-q2-2024

Depends how much you look forward to swapping a CPU cooler. It's a hassle.

What is the max temp you are getting with Cinebench R23 multi-core ? (NH-D15 + 13600K) ?
I haven't run Cinebench, so i can't say.
Which one runs cooler though ? I can get the 13600K for $350 CAD and the 14600K for $405 CAD.
I can't answer that.

It's hard to justify the difference in price when the difference in performance is minimal. I'd take the 14600K simply because it's newer and more polished, but much like the 13900K and 14900K, the extra cost is hard to justify.
It's not like the 12600K and 12900K, which are both outclassed by their 13th generation equivalents.

For your gaming build, consider the difference between the 14th and 13th i9 CPUs. The 13900K does not lag behind but is considerably cheaper.
The price is an anomaly i think. It does not reflect performance.

Since the 14600K is a refresh of the 13600K, and they're basically the same spec CPU (if not exactly the same CPU), i would not expect one running cooler than the other.

Reactions: knowledge2121
Here's a question: why is this such an important value to you?

If it's because you're worried about hotter CPU = hotter environment, that's not actually how it works. How hot the environment gets depends on how much energy is being used by the part. A 180W part is going to warm up its environment the same regardless if you get a cooler that can only keep the CPU at 90C vs one that can keep it at 70C. Though the latter will get the environment to equilibrium faster.

If it's because of longevity, this is still something that's a mystery. Yes you can find a "rule of thumb" that says something about lifespan and temperature, but that doesn't really apply to ICs. Is there damage that could happen when it gets to Tj_max? Probably not, because Tj_max is the thermal throttling temperature, not the "things will get damaged if it gets here" temperature. In fact, there's still a while to go temperature-wise before the IC starts getting into a spot of trouble.

If it's because you want something that'll allow it to boost harder for longer in an all-core workload... Get a better CPU.

Reactions: Lafong
The DRP4 actually has mounting issues on LGA1700, but for the mid tier SKUs should be sufficient. Since you already have it keeping it is probably the best choice, but if selling it is easy for you and Thermalright is available in your region the Phantom Spirit should be less than $40 USD and a lot better.
They both carry the exact same power profile so they will both output the same amount of heat. The 14600K might be a slightly better bin of the die and does carry 200 MHz/100 MHz higher boost clocks out of the box. That being said I'm not really sure I would spend the extra money just for that.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
If it's because of longevity, this is still something that's a mystery. Yes you can find a "rule of thumb" that says something about lifespan and temperature, but that doesn't really apply to ICs. Is there damage that could happen when it gets to Tj_max? Probably not, because Tj_max is the thermal throttling temperature, not the "things will get damaged if it gets here" temperature. In fact, there's still a while to go temperature-wise before the IC starts getting into a spot of trouble.

I have heard that electrolytic/polymer capacitors have a shorter life span when they operate in higher temperatures....Motherboards and GPUs use electrolytic/polymer capacitors.

The DRP4 actually has mounting issues on LGA1700

What issues ?

I have heard that electrolytic/polymer capacitors have a shorter life span when they operate in higher temperatures....Motherboards and GPUs use electrolytic/polymer capacitors.
Those parts of the motherboard will be the same pretty much whatever cpu you are using. It is only the chip itself...and most times not even the whole chip surface..that gets that hot. That is why you need a cooler for CPU and not other parts. You will also see aluminum fin coolers on mosfets sometimes but you never see them on capacitors. The capacitor itself is not generating much if any heat. You have case fans to take the heat the cpu cooler is dumping into the case away from everything.

Reactions: knowledge2121

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Those parts of the motherboard will be the same pretty much whatever cpu you are using. It is only the chip itself...and most times not even the whole chip surface..that gets that hot. That is why you need a cooler for CPU and not other parts. You will also see aluminum fin coolers on mosfets sometimes but you never see them on capacitors. The capacitor itself is not generating much if any heat. You have case fans to take the heat the cpu cooler is dumping into the case away from everything.
Capacitor.jpg

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Chipset and VRM FETs may get a little warm but that's around 37-40C max.

If your motherboard reaches 65 C, the fire brigade is already on it's way. And your CPU is a gas.
Also, you are a boiled egg.

The temperature is going to be concentrated on the CPU cores themselves; the CPU die should be at a much lower average temperature. Most of the heat from the CPU will be in the heat sink above the VRM anyway once airflow blows it away. The motherboard will soak some of the heat too, but not enough to make the VRM caps toasty.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
The temperature is going to be concentrated on the CPU cores themselves; the CPU die should be at a much lower average temperature. Most of the heat from the CPU will be in the heat sink above the VRM anyway once airflow blows it away. The motherboard will soak some of the heat too, but not enough to make the VRM caps toasty.

You should take a look at the fat and early slim PS3 consoles, the heat generated by the CPU/GPU kills the NEC Tokin capacitors that are near the CPU/GPU...

Not enough mounting tension which limits the effectiveness. So for example if you had a 253W CPU it wouldn't be able to cool it properly to allow maximum performance despite having the thermal capacity to do so.

Source ?

I don't have time to find the video where Mike explained everything as it didn't use the cooler name in the title, but here's their testing results (I don't know any other professional reviewers who have tested the DRP4 on LGA1700):
View: https://youtu.be/ltNDbgDDLPs?si=CemN-Agk4aTMt6Dj&t=573

Contact frame solves the issue ? I mentioned in the OP that I have a contact frame ?
That won't necessarily fix a bad mounting method as all it does is eliminate the ILM bending.

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024
DRP4 is bad, mostly because of the fans being horrible. Mounting pressure isn't the main issue. Now if you already have it, just change to better fans I guess - altough it's tricky on this one