Question 13700k severely under-performing on new build ?

Feb 28, 2023
Hello there!
I upgraded my rig, went from a r9 390/6700k to a 4070ti/13700k, along with a Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 CL16 RAM, Corsair Pure Power 750w and a Gigabyte z690 Elite DDR4 mobo. (Updated BIOS via flash before assembly)

After assembling everything, everything was working fine really until I used Hogwarts Legacy as test. Well, what can I say, on Ultra with RTX @1080p 144hz monitor (Yes, I know, will be replaced with a 1440p soon), the fps was pretty much below 60 fps everywhere, worse in the castle and Hogsmeade, with 30fps give or take respectiively. Something had to be off of course so I decided to install 3DMark let it run it's course.
The result was very sobering, the GPU score wasn't optimal but okay 22,5k, but the CPU however scored 8,8k, with the median for a 13700k being around 20k.

I've been through google and all that shenanigans but haven't seen a score this low on a 13700k anywhere. What in gods name is wrong with my setup? Temperatures during 3D Mark for the CPU were at 90° approx max, which should have not induced a throttle and even then, the score is way too abyssmal. Input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello there!
I upgraded my rig, went from a r9 390/6700k to a 4070ti/13700k, along with a Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 CL16 RAM, Corsair Pure Power 750w and a Gigabyte z690 Elite DDR4 mobo. (Updated BIOS via flash before assembly)

After assembling everything, everything was working fine really until I used Hogwarts Legacy as test. Well, what can I say, on Ultra with RTX @1080p 144hz monitor (Yes, I know, will be replaced with a 1440p soon), the fps was pretty much below 60 fps everywhere, worse in the castle and Hogsmeade, with 30fps give or take respectiively. Something had to be off of course so I decided to install 3DMark let it run it's course.
The result was very sobering, the GPU score wasn't optimal but okay 22,5k, but the CPU however scored 8,8k, with the median for a 13700k being around 20k.

I've been through google and all that shenanigans but haven't seen a score this low on a 13700k anywhere. What in gods name is wrong with my setup? Temperatures during 3D Mark for the CPU were at 90° approx max, which should have not induced a throttle and even then, the score is way too abyssmal. Input is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Did you do a clean Windows install with the new motherboard ?

@Rgnm

Are you using Windows 11? What Windows power plan are you using? You can first try doing a reset but a clean install of Windows is always best. You can waste infinite time trying to hunt down an obscure problem because some old driver did not get properly updated.

Try running Cinebench R23. What is your score so you can compare to others? Watch HWiNFO while Cinebench is running to see if the CPU cores are maintaining full speed.

Are the turbo power limits in the BIOS set to default values? If your turbo power limits are set to the default 125W in the BIOS, your CPU will power limit throttle and underperform in any long term full load stress test. HWiNFO can also report any reasons for throttling.

Is Windows VBS enabled? Try disabling it if it is enabled.

Updated BIOS
Do you know about the performance hit that can happen when using the latest BIOS versions? Intel has released a microcode update that is causing problems for some users and some motherboards. Monitoring software will report full speed but internally the CPU will be throttling so actual performance will take a big hit. I do not think you have this problem but an updated BIOS is not always a good idea. Your Cinebench score should show if you have this problem.

KyaraM

Admirable
Am I really the only one noticing that the RAM is running at base speed of 2100MHz in that test? Oo

Go into BIOS, set XMP to enabled, then rerun the test. Slow RAM really tanks performance, even on Intel. Do that before doing anything else said here.

KyaraM

Admirable
DDR4-4266 runs at 2133 MHz.
I think that is OK.
It would be... if Time Spy didn't give the rated speed instead of the actual speed. Also, TC said they got 3200MHz RAM, not 4266. For comparison, look at my result with 3600GHz RAM below to see how the program reports RAM speed. That should also give an direction where TC's system should land (a bit higher due to the CPU).

Last edited:
Reactions: uWebb429