Question 13700k undervolting question

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Hi,
I am running a 13700k at stock for a couple of years now. I just moved my PC in a new case and tinkering around with it a bit. In the past with previous CPUs I did quite a bit of overclock. But haven't done so in awhile since I don't even bother with the13700k. But yesterday I played around with undervolting for the first time. I just applied are negative offset of 0.1 and that lowered my temps a bit and actually gives me almost 1000 points more in Cinembench R23 Mulitcore. But I haven't stress tested the system yet. I have a couple of questions:

1. Here are my Undervolting settings in Bio. Did I do it right? I set LLC to 4. DC to 32, AC to 16, and I set Lite Load Mode to Advanced. Then I applied a negative CPU voltage of 0.1,
2. How should I stress test the system for stability? Still Prime95 (with our without AVX)? Or can I get away with Cinebench R23 or 2024 stability/stress test?
3. Is -0.1 offset too aggressive or not aggressive enough?

Oh...and all my system specs are in the signature.

Thanks.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The type of stress test you do is really up to what you use the PC for. If it is just gaming then cinebench is actually a decent approximation for gaming stability.

As to the settings, every CPU is a little different. You just have to find the limits.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
The type of stress test you do is really up to what you use the PC for. If it is just gaming then cinebench is actually a decent approximation for gaming stability.

As to the settings, every CPU is a little different. You just have to find the limits.
Yes, the PC is for gaming.

When it comes to the settings, it was more like if I turning the right gears, not by how much I turn them. So, is my undervolting approach right?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hard to say, the manual is none too specific about the direct effects of the Lite Load and LLC settings, just that higher numbers mean higher voltage (presumably higher droop mitigation under load)

As long as you are seeing reduced power/voltage under load you are succeeding. Gaining performance as an effect of temperature reduction.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Hard to say, the manual is none too specific about the direct effects of the Lite Load and LLC settings, just that higher numbers mean higher voltage (presumably higher droop mitigation under load)

As long as you are seeing reduced power/voltage under load you are succeeding. Gaining performance as an effect of temperature reduction.
So, I just have to find the sweet before lowering more voltage will lose performance or not being stable, right?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I always use the BIOS for my overclocking. Though right now I think I have just a light 5.3Ghz or something on my 12700kf. Haven't really considered an undervolt for it as I was actually satisfied with the out of the box performance.

Reactions: thestryker

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I am satisfied with the out of box performance as well. But it runs hot in benchmarks. Gaming temps are fine. I was more curious and want to play around with it. Just to see what I can change with with just lowering voltages. Seems like I can get a bit more performance at lower temps than at stock. But its not that much.

When it comes to undervolting, all-core stress tests aren't as useful because the voltage mostly affects what clock speed the CPU can get up to. You need to throw a workload that only stresses a handful of cores so the CPU wants to go to the maximum turbo clock speed.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
So, I am now at minus -0.15 volts with the bios settings stated in the my initial post. I hit now over 30000 points in mulitcore Cinebench R23 with my 100% ultra silent air cooled setup. This is about 1000 points more than without the undervolt at stock settings. Still not seeing any errors or problems in the 30 minute R23 stress tests (single core, multicore and custom 4 core stress test). Should I lower the voltage further?