Question 13900k conflict with DDR5 possible?

Syed117

Honorable
Jan 16, 2017
Kind of weird scenario.

Put a pc together over the weekend.

aorus z790 xtreme
2x32gb corsair dominator DDR5 (on QVL list)

System would not post with both sticks of ram. A2 slot simply wouldn't work even with one stick. Swapped out both sticks for a new pack even though each individual stick worked fine in B2. Same issue. Has to be a problem with the A2 slot right?

Swapped out the motherboard for an Asus Z790 strix. Same exact issue. even gave the same code 12 that the aorus gave.

The cpu is the only thing left. That has to be it right? Unless that memory despite being on the QVL list supported 2x32 is the problem. Each individual stick worked fine in the B2 slot.

A bad intel processor is extremely rare, but I think you may have one.
Such ram errors are common if the cpu socket has a bent pin. All too easy to do.
Since you used two different motherboards and got the same symptoms, I would discount the bent pin as the issue.
It might pay to examine each socket anyway.
Look closely at the contact points on the bottom of the processor chip.
See if there might be a place where the contacts do not look right.
Instead of returning the processor to the seller, where it might be simply re entered into inventory, contact Intel for a RMA.
They will be most interested in the failure.

Syed117

Honorable
Jan 16, 2017
A bad intel processor is extremely rare, but I think you may have one.
Such ram errors are common if the cpu socket has a bent pin. All too easy to do.
Since you used two different motherboards and got the same symptoms, I would discount the bent pin as the issue.
It might pay to examine each socket anyway.
Look closely at the contact points on the bottom of the processor chip.
See if there might be a place where the contacts do not look right.
Instead of returning the processor to the seller, where it might be simply re entered into inventory, contact Intel for a RMA.
They will be most interested in the failure.

I checked the first socket very closely and it seemed fine. Same thing with the second. Pins looked ok. Unless somehow the processor itself was messing up the same pins in the same spot when tightening the cooler on both motherboards. The cpu looked fine as well.

Unfortunately, I sent it back marked defective already. This has been a stressful experience. New CPU arriving tomorrow. Let's see what happens.

Syed117

Honorable
Jan 16, 2017
What cpu cooler did you use?
If the cooler allowed you to overtighten it, you could have bent the chip itself.
You might try a lga1700 contact frame like this:
https://www.newegg.com/p/13C-004P-0...426526690523649&id31=en&id32=&id33=DA&id34=US

It's a corsair H150i AIO. Was paranoid about overtightening. It's possible, but I don't think I did. Finger tight and then the slightest more with a screwdriver.

Might not hurt to get something like that. Thanks!

Edit: Ordered from Amazon. Don't want to take any chances.

Syed117

Honorable
Jan 16, 2017
Well, just an update in case maybe it helps someone.

I don't know if it was a cpu issue, or a bending issue from the cooler or ILM, but after I used the thermalright from the link above and the new cpu, it posted on the first attempt with both sticks of ram.

Thank you @geofelt

Reactions: NaClKnight

TRENDING THREADS