Question 13900KF stuck at 5.5ghz

Dec 4, 2022
Just bought a pc.

13900KF
Asus Prime z790-A Wifi
NZXT Kraken Z73 aio.
32gb ddr5 5600mhz.

At windows using browser/downloading games, i have 5500mhz all the time, not going under that at all.

From task manager cpu usage is 0-15%

Temperatures going 40-50c

Tried Multi-core enhancement but nothing happened. Also tried balanced mode from windows. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you currently on? Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
I just noticed, when i go to power management on windows, and switch it to "Power Save" mode, the clocks go down to 3ghz, or lower. So something is messed up ? P-Cores are stable 2.2ghz or lower, and the E cores are doing more then.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022
If you have a speed shift option in the bios turn it off.....test.
Yeah turned it off, and the E-cores do change more(They were also at maximum 4300mhz all the time, but now bouncing between 2-4,3ghz), but P-cores 5500mhz still.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022
Intel SpeedStep - Enabled
Intel Speed Shift Technology - disabled for now
Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 - Enabled
Turbo Mode - Enabled
C-states - Auto

Dec 4, 2022
Intel said ask Asus, and install windows 11 again.

Asus said: Its working like it should work. :D All righty then. So P-cores are at minimum of 5500mhz all the time and E-cores go rarely under 4300mhz.

@Luikee

The Windows High Performance power plan is designed to run Intel CPUs at maximum speed all of the time regardless of load. The Balanced power plan allows the CPU to slow down when it is lightly loaded. If this is not happening, check how much stuff you have running in the background. I have next to nothing running in the background. Too many background tasks will force the CPU to constantly run at full speed. Intel Speed Shift gets the CPU up to full speed and will keep it there if tasks need to be processed. That is how any modern Intel CPU is supposed to work.

BvMwGJc.png

Modern computers will save power when the cores enter one of the low power C states like C7. The speed of the rest of the CPU makes very little difference if all of the cores are sitting idle in C7 for 99% of the time . Are your C states enabled? Turn Speed Shift back on. It is the best way for Intel CPUs to manage themselves.

Here is a good example. All 10 cores humming along at 5000 MHz. The cores are averaging over 99% of the time in C7. CPU usage is minimal so power consumption and idle temperatures are fantastic. No need to slow this CPU down when it is idle. It is automatically power gated internally when cores are not in use.

ekk5Lnp.png

Last edited: