Question 13ms latency increase. Explanation?

Sarahlancaster290

Commendable
May 7, 2020
Let me rewind the clock to 2005 when Centurylink(CenturyTel) first came into my area. The ping to google.com was 33ms. Fast forward to 2013. I bought another line because I was going to bond two internet lines together to get 3mbps. I recall one line pinged google.com with 44ms, and my older line pinged google.com around 32ms. Same modem/router model but plugged into different phone outlets. I don't know why the difference in latency. I decided against bonding my two internet lines together as the internet was severely exhausted throughout the day caused by oversold bandwidth in my area. I canceled both lines and used the phone internet until September 2021. Fast forward to 2021, the backend infrastructure was now fiber optics which increased our speeds, but it's still copper to the DSLAM box or whatever you want to call it. So, in 2021, when I ordered my new 15mbps internet, the CenturyLink technician installed or replaced something at the NID. I was only able to get 15mbps because of how far away I was from the box. I was happy with that. He also said I could get an additional free line, bind them together, and get 30mbps. The CenturyLink technician said it would be quick and easy since I already had two lines, but I would have to get approved. I never followed up on it as I was happy with my 15mbps, and didn't feel like buying a bonding router. As he was opening up the NID, I told him I once had two lines(as he could see at the NID), but I wanted a specific phone jack which seemed to be better in terms of latency. The tech plugged a device into the phone jack to wire the right lines at the NID(the one I wanted). My new internet was installed. I pinged google. com, the latency was the same as it was 16-years-ago, 32ms. Fast forward to June 2022. The internet shuts off. I look at the back of the modem/router and there was no green light(it was red), which signifies if there is a connection to the DSLAM. I called Century Link and they said there was something wrong with my internal wiring and they would send a tech. I was going to be out of town, so this was going to wait. I come back a week later and decided to plug my modem/router directly into the NID. My internet wasn't working, nor did the green light in the back become solid. I figured it was either a) something wrong with my modem/router or b) something wrong with CenturyLink in my neighborhood. I should also note there was a CenturyLink truck(a big one) going down my street and stopping by the long vertical phone boxes two days after my internet went out. When I came back home a week later, I assumed something was wrong with my modem and not with CenturyLink because they would have fixed the issue a week ago. I ended up getting a new modem(a different model from my older one) from Century Link, plugged it in, and the DSL light wasn't even popping up. I figured that might be because when I was at the NID, I didn't properly plug the line back into the NID phone jack four days prior. I was correct, and I plugged it in. My new modem/router light came on and I connected to the internet. One problem. My ping was now 44ms. The identical latency that was on my other phone jack. Is it possible being disconnected from the NID, that the DSLAM is rerouting me differently, or is it somehow rerouting me through my other phone jack that is supposed to be disabled? I really don't get it. I can't 100% rule out my modem is causing the latency spike, but I did plug in my old 2012 modem/router combo that used to get 33ms, and it's showing 44ms. Ping also increased by 15ms-20ms in dedicated game servers. Should I disconnect the NID and wait for a few days?

I forget why dsl has extra overhead than say cable or fiber but it does have a lot more delay.

Still it makes no difference. You not even perceive 10ms of extra latency. If you did not have a tool like ping or tracert you would not be able to know.

You can spend lots of time trying to get them to fix this but what is far more important for games is that it is consistent. Variations in the latency....and this means much more than 10 or 20ms between packets...is much more determental to a game than the latency being some fixed amount more. The game factors in the time taken to deliver the messages and if it changes it can't do the calculations correctly. Also no matter what some so called leet gamer claim someone with lower ping does not have a advantage. The game is designed to prevent this by placing artificial delays in so everyone is more equal. Most can only fix about 100ms of difference though.

What you might want to do is read some of the research done on human reaction time and how long it takes signals to travel in your nerves. The scientist are laughing at 10ms difference.

Sarahlancaster290

Commendable
May 7, 2020
I forget why dsl has extra overhead than say cable or fiber but it does have a lot more delay.

Still it makes no difference. You not even perceive 10ms of extra latency. If you did not have a tool like ping or tracert you would not be able to know.

You can spend lots of time trying to get them to fix this but what is far more important for games is that it is consistent. Variations in the latency....and this means much more than 10 or 20ms between packets...is much more determental to a game than the latency being some fixed amount more. The game factors in the time taken to deliver the messages and if it changes it can't do the calculations correctly. Also no matter what some so called leet gamer claim someone with lower ping does not have a advantage. The game is designed to prevent this by placing artificial delays in so everyone is more equal. Most can only fix about 100ms of difference though.

What you might want to do is read some of the research done on human reaction time and how long it takes signals to travel in your nerves. The scientist are laughing at 10ms difference.

Blah blah blah blah. It's actually 20ms increase in dedicated game servers. I play games that aren't popular and play on the east coast. When I used to get 120ms, i now get 140ms.

Anyways, i found out the issue and disregarded your useless response. Centurylink elevated the interleave because they thought it would bring more stability and stop the connection from disconnecting every 45 minutes. It didn't. Btw, I didn't even bother reading your entire response, i only wanted an explanation why this might have occurred.

I just need to call centurylink up and tell them to reset my SNR profile.

Last edited: