[SOLVED] $1400 Intel Gaming Build

johnsoner13

Respectable
Hi all, trying to get together a parts list for my bud for around $1400. Using it strictly for gaming. Intel platform is preferred here. He has a 1080p 144hz monitor and really just wants framerates as high as he can get. Here’s what I could throw together
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700KF 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($359.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($46.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.10 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($504.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ ModMyMods)
Total: $1390.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-12 15:59 EDT-0400

Any suggestions? Anything would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
1)Not the strongest choice of motherboard for overclocking. VRM cooling needs some help, so an AIO is out of the question.
The Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon would be a stronger option.

2)The case is a good choice, but the gpu cooling is pretty 'meh' when higher end graphics cards are involved.
With Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series boost clocks being based on power and several temperature thresholds, the cooler the gpu runs, the higher the clocks will be on average.
Something like the Phanteks Eclipse P400A would work better.

3)To try and keep within the budget, you probably need to sacrifice the 2nd drive and just a larger 1TB SSD for now:
Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Not the strongest choice of motherboard for overclocking. VRM cooling needs some help, so an AIO is out of the question.
The Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon would be a stronger option.

2)The case is a good choice, but the gpu cooling is pretty 'meh' when higher end graphics cards are involved.
With Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series boost clocks being based on power and several temperature thresholds, the cooler the gpu runs, the higher the clocks will be on average.
Something like the Phanteks Eclipse P400A would work better.

3)To try and keep within the budget, you probably need to sacrifice the 2nd drive and just a larger 1TB SSD for now:
Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Well, that's my 2 cents.

Solution
A balanced gamer will budget 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.
You are about right in that respect.

You could build as is.
I have a couple of thoughts:

I think I would buy a 1tb nvme m.2 device and defer on the hard drive.
It is easier to manage a single C drive space.
It is easy to add another drive if or when you need it.

You have a nice case.
Your cooler is reasonable enough.
But it may become the limiting factor in getting all you can out of your 9700KF.
Consider a twin tower large cooler like the noctua NH-d15, d15s, or DRP4.
If you try maximizing performance using the Intel performance maximizer, it will take into account your cooling capability:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html

To feed the cpu cooler and the gpu cooling, buy one or two good 140mm front intake fans.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not the worst decision ever. OEM gaming PCs aren't as terrible as they used to be when you spend enough. Only costing you about a 10-20% markup, and you get warranty support.

Places they tend to skimp on are memory speed/configuration and the use of low feature motherboards. Power supplies, though Alienware is decent in that regard. Could certainly be better, but they put appropriately rated supplies for the GPU.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Quick check with Dell.

Aurora R8 ($1350)
i7-9700
2x8GB 2666Mhz DDR4
512GB NVMe
GTX 1660Ti
850W supply

OR

($1420)
i5-9400
2x8GB 2666Mhz DDR4
512GB NVMe
RTX 2070 Super
850W supply

Didn't look at their other desktop model. Probably wouldn't go with that one, looks a lot more custom.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
He bought this one I believe
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienw...ssd-white-lunar-light/6373818.p?skuId=6373818
It actually isn’t as bad as I thought, but who knows what PSU/mobo it has, not to mention the non k chip and only 2666 ram. (And yes, he told me he was only willing to spend $1400 and then went out and bought a $1700 prebuilt)
I believe Dell's standard is a 460W for the mid range of their tower machines (some 350W for the business-oriented models), and 850W for those that get a high-powered video card. I'm guessing that's likely what this machine has. Dell's PSUs have been pretty good in terms of reliability for several years, though, as I understand it. My own experience with them seems to confirm this.

While the Alienware cases are generally designed with an eye toward good cooling/airflow, I could've sworn I read somewhere that this new design did NOT live up to that.

I'm also guessing your friend is a bit of an impulse buyer. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that a 2080 Super is a bit of overkill even for 144fps at 1080p.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Also an 850W power supply in that model.

Pricing it out through Dell brings it to $1940, so the Best Buy price is actually a pretty decent discount. And a discount code for 17% off all all alienware desktops. EXTRA17 at checkout brings the total to $1610. Too late to return it?