[SOLVED] 1440p 144Hz on a 1660 Super?

devinascension

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
TLDR, With the list of games below, can I play them at 1440p 144Hz using a 1660 Super?

Long story short, I'm postponing purchasing a new GPU until later this year when the new NVIDIA cards are released (hopefully). I have instead decided to upgrade my main monitor to a 1440p 144Hz monitor but my current card is a 1660 Super, which I hear may not be the best at playing fast paced or graphically intensive games at that resolution. My thinking is that, since I do not play many games like that too often, I can still get away with buying a 1440p 144Hz monitor and not essentially cripple my GPU.

Here is a list of what I have been playing recently:
  • Deep Rock Galactic
  • Terraria
  • Minecraft
  • Space Engineers
  • From the Depths
  • Titanfall 2
  • Team Fortress 2
  • War Thunder
A bit of a doozy, I know, but the main two I worry about are Deep Rock Galactic and War Thunder.

Just in case, I have my GPU paired with an AMD r5 3600.
I want to upgrade to an LG 27GL850.

Solution
You don't have to run at that resolution. On the games where 1440p performance is not what you want, run at 1080p or reduce settings until you hit the FPS you want.

Planning ahead doesn't mean you can't enjoy your lighter games at 1440p 144hz until you do upgrade your GPU.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You don't have to run at that resolution. On the games where 1440p performance is not what you want, run at 1080p or reduce settings until you hit the FPS you want.

Planning ahead doesn't mean you can't enjoy your lighter games at 1440p 144hz until you do upgrade your GPU.

Solution