[SOLVED] 1440p 27 inch versus ultrawide

Sep 26, 2021
Evening everyone,

I was just hoping for some opinions in regard to display. I currently have a 1440p 27 inch asus TUF monitor and was looking for a new/ second one. If new thinking of a 4k monitor or if it would be more beneficial to grab a ultrade wide 34 inch 1440p monitor such as the Samsung G5. I mostly play single player games with the occasional raiboin six siege or warzone. My rig is
ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz
Video CardGeForce RTX 3080
Operating SystemWindows 10
RAM32 GB
can I support ultra wide gaming?

Solution
trying to decide between the dell S3422DWG and the LG 34GP83A
the LG uses a better panel, has a faster response time, higher color gamut, and offers support for G-Sync.

the Dell has a higher contrast ratio but that's about the only thing i see that it offers over the LG.
it doesn't mention being G-Sync compatible and that would be an issue for me using an Nvidia card.

i would go for the LG if it was up to me.

for a decision like this i would rather see them in person but it's usually hard to find nicer screens like this available for study at retail chains or computer stores.
ordering online i went through 3 different similar monitors before finding the very nice Alienware i'm currently using.
luckily returning large heavy...
can I support ultra wide gaming?
definitely.

i ran my 3440x1440 with an 8700K + GTX 1080 Ti for a couple years and got decent fps(70-100) in even the most demanding games with mixed in-game settings.
usually lowered shadows, fog/smoke effects, post processing and AA to medium/low settings.

currently can run anything maxed out with RT effects and get 120+fps with my 11700K + RTX 3080 Ti.
If new thinking of a 4k monitor or if it would be more beneficial to grab a ultrade wide 34 inch 1440p
i've currently got both connected;
a 55" 2160p 120Hz & 34" 1440p 120Hz.

i enjoy gaming on the ultra-wide 21:9 2K MUCH more than the larger 16:9 4K.
the extra field-of-view with the ultra-wide makes every game i play much more immersive and playing anything with an open world map gives you so much more scenery.

i would never go back to 16:9 for my main gaming purposes.
now i just use the 55" 4K when i have company over so we can sit on the couch and game together in front of the larger screen.

Sep 26, 2021
definitely.

i ran my 3440x1440 with an 8700K + GTX 1080 Ti for a couple years and got decent fps(70-100) in even the most demanding games with mixed in-game settings.
usually lowered shadows, fog/smoke effects, post processing and AA to medium/low settings.

currently can run anything maxed out with RT effects and get 120+fps with my 11700K + RTX 3080 Ti.

i've currently got both connected;
a 55" 2160p 120Hz & 34" 1440p 120Hz.

i enjoy gaming on the ultra-wide 21:9 2K MUCH more than the larger 16:9 4K.
the extra field-of-view with the ultra-wide makes every game i play much more immersive and playing anything with an open world map gives you so much more scenery.

i would never go back to 16:9 for my main gaming purposes.
now i just use the 55" 4K when i have company over so we can sit on the couch and game together in front of the larger screen.

Thanks for the reply man. I am trying to decide between the dell S3422DWG and the LG 34GP83A. I've read the Dell is really good but I've also read the LG is very good. Price difference is the LG is $250 more.

trying to decide between the dell S3422DWG and the LG 34GP83A
the LG uses a better panel, has a faster response time, higher color gamut, and offers support for G-Sync.

the Dell has a higher contrast ratio but that's about the only thing i see that it offers over the LG.
it doesn't mention being G-Sync compatible and that would be an issue for me using an Nvidia card.

i would go for the LG if it was up to me.

for a decision like this i would rather see them in person but it's usually hard to find nicer screens like this available for study at retail chains or computer stores.
ordering online i went through 3 different similar monitors before finding the very nice Alienware i'm currently using.
luckily returning large heavy items has gotten a lot more customer friendly over the years.

Solution