1440p 60hz or 1080p 120hz/144hz with a GTX 1070?

Alasdair

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Hello,

I'm in the market for a GTX 1070 and currently looking for a new monitor to compliment it. I've been looking at 1440p 60hz and 1080p with higher refresh rate monitors but torn between the two. My current monitor is at 1080p 60hz.

I'm interested in the 1080p at a higher refresh rate than 60hz because GTX 1070 benchmarks show that it can achieve higher than 60 fps at maximum settings. It would make sense to buy a monitor that can keep up with the frame rate and the benefits of smoother 120hz and 144hz sounds very appealing. The extra fps at ultra settings would sort of future-proof the card for more demanding titles.

I'm also interested in 1440p 60hz monitors because of the greater amount of detail. The 1070 can support 1440p at ultra at 60 fps with most benchmarks, but seems to be only just enough for current demanding titles without much more frame rate to spare for future (and probably more demanding) games.

I would like to hear what you think - a faster image or better looking image?

Thank you

It depends on what games you play. If you play fast action-pased games like shooters or racing games you might like a higher refresh rate better because supposedly your gameplay can improve if the refresh rate is higher and steady.

If you prefer image quality over speed than the higher resolution would be the way to go.