[SOLVED] 1440p or 4k??

Jun 3, 2020
Hi, I currently upgraded to a gtx 1080ti with a ryzen 5 3600 and 16gb ddr4 but i still have my 1080p monitor and this gpu is a bit overkill. Should I upgrade to a 1440p or 4k monitor? I am not a gamer who like fps shooters, i play gtav the most so with that in mind, which resolution suits me best?

Solution
If your not playing competitive FPS with a high refresh rate then 4K would be fine with that setup (med to high settings depending on game). I'd try to get a monitor with Freesync/DisplayPort so you can utilize the Freesync with that 1080 ti.

SrNDyKi.png
Hi, I currently upgraded to a gtx 1080ti with a ryzen 5 3600 and 16gb ddr4 but i still have my 1080p monitor and this gpu is a bit overkill. Should I upgrade to a 1440p or 4k monitor? I am not a gamer who like fps shooters, i play gtav the most so with that in mind, which resolution suits me best?
3 year old GPU i would stick with a high refresh 1080p, 1440p at most unless you are ok with <60fps at 4k

WildCard999

Titan
If your not playing competitive FPS with a high refresh rate then 4K would be fine with that setup (med to high settings depending on game). I'd try to get a monitor with Freesync/DisplayPort so you can utilize the Freesync with that 1080 ti.

SrNDyKi.png

Last edited:
Solution

WildCard999

Titan
Game is also pretty old. Are you planning on a new GPU when GTA 6 comes out?
Older game but the one the OP says they play the most.

What is the budget for this monitor?

While 4K/60hz is doable for GTA V on higher settings you could probably have a slightly higher refresh rate with 1440P. Speaking of which I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen 75-85hz 4K monitors as they'd probably be a bit cheaper over the higher refresh. Since monitors are usually the least upgraded parts I'd get something that would last which is why with the type of games your playing I'd lean more towards the 4K but at 60hz get a Freesync/DisplayPort model.

There's always 3440x1440P/75-100hz but they are a bit pricey currently, GTA V does support 21:9 natively.

Older game but the one the OP says they play the most.

What is the budget for this monitor?

While 4K/60hz is doable for GTA V on higher settings you could probably have a slightly higher refresh rate with 1440P. Speaking of which I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen 75-85hz 4K monitors as they'd probably be a bit cheaper over the higher refresh. Since monitors are usually the least upgraded parts I'd get something that would last which is why with the type of games your playing I'd lean more towards the 4K but at 60hz get a Freesync/DisplayPort model.

There's always 3440x1440P/75-100hz but they are a bit pricey currently, GTA V does support 21:9 natively.
I don’t disagree with you, just wondering as a monitor is typically a long term investment. He’s not going to be playing 4k very long on a 1080ti unless he continues to only play GTA5 for the life of the monitor. Even still the lows are in the 40s as of now. I have a 1080ti and it’s a great 1440p card.