1440p tn vs 1440p ips

Francis Aguilar

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
hi guys just wanna ask know you r opinion. I'm about to get this BENQ XL2730Z 1440p freesync monitor... i am a huge moviegoer and love watching movies and series.. question is there a huge or noticeable difference if I get this monitor 1440p tn vs 1440p ips monitor in terms of movies????

i know tn and ips are different but this xl2730z is a more premium tn model right?> an 8bit tn panel too.. so is it comparable with ips 1440p??? in real world use wil lI really notice the difference vs ips 1440p??? thnsk guys pls reply

Solution
doesnt matter, tn is tn is tn, and yes there is a huuge difference from TN to IPS, you have to see it to understand,
IPS is far superior in terms of image quality, TN should only be considered if you're some "pro" fast paced twitch fps style gamer where that last ms response time is do or die all important
for all other situations including all other type of gaming IPS is just gorgeous, it just doesnt compare to TN
IPS/AMVA>VA>TN

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
doesnt matter, tn is tn is tn, and yes there is a huuge difference from TN to IPS, you have to see it to understand,
IPS is far superior in terms of image quality, TN should only be considered if you're some "pro" fast paced twitch fps style gamer where that last ms response time is do or die all important
for all other situations including all other type of gaming IPS is just gorgeous, it just doesnt compare to TN
IPS/AMVA>VA>TN

Solution

Gallarian

Distinguished
The difference between IPS and TN panels really comes down to this: IPS offers MUCH better colour reproduction and viewing angles than TN.

The reason some people don't like IPS panels is because, on the whole, they dont come with the same fast response times that gamers require (they can do, but its comes at a price).

But for movies, they are a hell of a lot better. Blacks will look blacker, whites whiter and colours brighter and more accurate. You also don't have to worry about not being perfectly in the front-middle of the screen, as the better viewing angles of IPS mean the image will have the same quality if your sat to the left or right of it (within 140 degrees usually) - which is great if youve got someone watching with you.

The only thing to note is the dreaded 'IPS glow' that you can see if your sat too close to the monitor, which can ruin darker scenes. If you watching movies, make sure your at a good 'arm and a half' distance from monitor to get the best image quality.

In conclusion; definitely go for a good IPS monitor for movie watching

Yeah right. TN 90% of the times beats IPS when it comes to contrast uniformity. The amount of defects on IPS panels are ridiculous. You're not going to get consistent results with an IPS, where as with TN you are. TN do have poor viewing angles, but that's about it, seperating the two. If you're serious about movies and you still want an LCD monitor or TV, then always choose VA, there is not even somethign you could argue against that.

You confused response times for input lag, and AMVA for AHVA.

Gallarian

Distinguished

Please don't confuse me for the latter, I went through a LOT of monitors before settling on my PG279Q.

A quality IPS monitor will be better than a TN panel for watching movies, theres no debate about that. There's a reason that the vast majority of professionals use IPS monitors for video production. You just have to willing to shop around and do your research.

I'm not saying or trying to call you out on anything. I'm all about accurate and good advise on displays though. No movie lover would ever consider a IPS ever again after viewing the same movie on a VA, due to the higher contrast, which indirectly translates to a sharper image. If you went through a lo tof monitors to get a good sample of the PG279Q, then that sort of indicates that what I'm saying is actually true. Note that I did say that due to defects, IPS can't beat TN, with no defects, then yes, IPS beats TN, that's what I'm trying to say here. Sorry if I confused you due to my poor wording, grammar and english in general, it's not my native language.

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
you are forgetting contrasts isnt everything, not even regarding movies, colour accuracy matters there too
and to truly distinguish IPS vs VA in terms of "best quality" when watching movies can be hard, and will always be a personal choice preference, room lighting taking in to consideration and such
but TN dont and will never ever come close, defects or not on IPS, TN just dont have a place there

If contrast isn't everything (never said it was), then why are people drooling over wanting OLED? LCD's, IPS, VA, can both easily hit 99-100% of the Rec.709 space, at an affordable price. IPS don't have a color accuracy advantage, biggest myth known to man. Last time I argued this, someone posted a 12 year old article, I'm curious what article I'm going to see this time.

To be clear, we've already forgotten about TN. They are useless, because you can get a IPS and VA at the same price, but better picture quality. Do compare a 8 bit TN vs 8 bit IPS though, if you've ever done that, you'll see that the advantage you may think IPS has, actually doesn't exist, apart from viewing angles, which yes translates to color/contrast uniformity.

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
if IPS doesnt have any colour "advantage" its just strange how they objectively look better in terms of colour over most VA panels, even if disregarding price range to a degree to allow for a "better" quality VA,
there is a reason its more popular, and there has been more industry focus on IPS than VA as of late
im glad VA is getting some nods back with new quality VA getting released, but it has not been the same like with IPS in recent years for a reason
weather its a perpetuated myth, i wouldnt dare state as fact or not, but there is a reason, and a reason why IPS so often "win" in so called "consumer tests",
not to mention what i personally like more when looking at and notice in differences
and contrast especially messes up with light changes, which is why VA can look gorgeous at night in your totally blacked out room, but look dull and flat during the day, and IPS doesnt suffer the same, granted its blacks and whites are generally more dull, but the overall image isnt

and to be frank this thread was about IPS vs TN, and no matter what IPS will beat TN without a sweat in terms of image quality, thats not even subjective opinion

No, the reason is because majority of consumers rely on fake specs, and brands brainwashing them. If more consumers were aware of the difference in picture quality, then they would consider VA. Don't think that IPS are receiving updates and VA isn't though. The VA has moved further to better picture and faster, than IPS over the years. There are VA monitors with nearly identical viewing angles to an IPS monitor.

IPS looks washed out next to a VA, keep thinking that though. OP is a huge movie fan, and I'm trying to include a third option, as IPS just doesn't cut it when it comes to movies.

And, cheap TN's are 6 bit panels, sometimes with dithering, the 8 bit panels like the PG278Q, is using a true 8 bit panel, but no dithering. The PG PG279Q is using a 8 bit panel with 10 bit dithering. You can keep talking about IPS vs TN all you want, but I think we should ignore that, and instead move on to the difference between IPS and VA, as that's what we should be looking at, considering OP's description.

Your statement about "looking flat during the day", is 100% false, not sure where you got that from, how many monitors do you own?