Question 144hz monitor struggling mantaining 144fps. What should I upgrade?

Fr3d

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
Hello, so my pc is kinda old and I feel I need to do a bit of upgrading.
I don't know what I should upgrade first, but something tells me my CPU is doing poorly so I am kinda waiting to check the prices of new Ryzen cpu that will come out but i want opinions on what i should upgrade first and if my graphics card is enough to keep up with those games.
I just been dropping fps and it feel laggy on fights for exemple in fortnite that i can barelly turn sometimes, apex legends is kinda off fine for some reason and overwatch its on intesive fights that i lag as well, splitgate for some reason i avarage 120 fps(not too bad i just expected more for that type of game tbh)
I am kinda on a budget as well but we will see how much i can expand that budget...
Would like to try some games as well but cannot be arsed because i might have low fps and i already play everything on low

Games I mostly play, Overwatch, Apex Legends, Fortnite, Splitgate, Ark

My Specs:

CPU

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz
Skylake 14nm Technology

RAM
16,0GB HyperX Fury @ 1064MHz (14-14-14-35)

Motherboard
MSI H110M PRO-VD (MS-7996) (U3E1)

GPU
VG248 (1920x1080@144Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Storage
223GB KINGSTON SUV400S37240G (SATA-2 (SSD))
465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 (SATA)

PSU
Seasonic S12II 520W - S12II-520

Overclock your cpu to 4.4-4.5 if you have a good cooler. See where that gets you. Then think about a gpu upgrade. I will say the 3000 series looks promising and should be way better than the 6600k, I'll be upgrading mine as well. Served me well since I've had it, Oc to 4.6, but it's time to upgrade.

1060 is not your typical 144hz card, 1070 is. Then again, some of the games you mentioned above are CPU intensive. And although the CPU can be overclocked, the board you have lacks that feature. So, basically you are falling short on multiple fronts.
The good news is, that CPU is good enough to support stronger cards and there are newer alternatives to 1070, like 1660ti which is pretty close, or 2060 which is even better, or even the 1070 itself which is not too old.

You should start with a better card and go on to a better CPU.

Last edited:

Fr3d

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
Well but to keep this cpu i need a new motherboard otherwise my cpu is kinda of a waste since i cant OC it, and since my games are cpu based I guess im still going to CPU+MOBO combo now? that way i get 2 things out of my way and in the next months ill get some more money and go for the gpu upgrade do you think that's a idea?
Another thing is I used to play the same games with this gpu at better frames, so i guess keeping it for a bit for 144hz it will kinda workout even if i need to OC a bit my gpu? I like to play my comp games on low tbh, i just want some more fps
Thanks in advice im taking every bit of info in and i appreciate your time :D

Last edited:
I used to play the same games with this gpu at better frames, so i guess keeping it for a bit for 144hz it will kinda workout even if i need to OC a bit my gpu?
With the release of new CPUs and GPUs, games are patched and updated with additional codeing for new hardware support. And sometimes while trying to accommodate new hardware coding, support for older hardware is kinda bootlegged to the minimum and thats why sometimes older hardware struggles with the same games down the line. So, do not expect that the earlier performance will remain constant.
So, you can go the CPU+MOBO path, but I wont be expecting any major FPS gains right away, as most games are still pretty GPU bound and somewhere better FPS still percolates to a better GPU. The monitor is still driven by the GPU, and the role of the CPU is not to limit the full potential of the card.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
But if i go for a mobo+cpu do you think my fps can stabalize at like 120\150 for exemple without many drops

Newer cpu will help, ie Zen 2 you're interested in will set you up for better graphics cards but yeah for what you want, 144fps will require a better gpu and cpu. Keep in mind, as said, not every game will behave the same, and games are forever getting bigger and more demanding. With computer's, you're always chasing your tail, nothing lasts forever.

@ 1080p, below charts will give you an idea where 1060 sits compared to other cards.

Fyi, the cpu needs to prepare frames for the gpu. More frames a gpu can do the more frames the cpu needs to prepare, so the cpu needs to be good enough to keep up. Also more fps can work cpu harder and if the game is quite cpu intensive like BF, it's wise to get a good cpu to handle the work load.

Watch this, you'll have a better understanding how important a cpu is at high frame rates in busy games.

Fr3d

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
Yea right now i mostly play the games I said above, but fortnite its the real problem tbh, updates fucked it as well, but on "endgames" with a lot of building i cant really aim, its wayy too laggy with some stutters it feels almost as im playing in slow motion sometimes.
But for exemple on apex legends with i think its a "GPU" intensive game, i can hit 144frames if i OC my gpu and i dont lag anywhere near as fortnite, the frames are actually pretty stable.
Overwatch is the same thing, if I go to the task manager and set it up to "high priority" i dont lag on Overwatch but if i dont i've been having less than 120 fps when i played it with 200 stuck :\
My cpu usage on most games is 100% while my gpu doesnt get to 90% sometimes, and splitgate is a stable 120 with some lag spikes, but splitgate is a new game and all I don't think it has been optimized and even if it is I don't know which it will ask more for
The way i kinda discovered my cpu is fucking up, its because when i OC my gpu my fps didnt really change the fps, by putting games on high priority to stabalize it and when i changed the graphics the fps would not drop by much only in fights, but since im kinda of a newbie to this and this forum helped me a lot im here to ask for help
PS I dont understand anything about mobo as well hahaha
the only problem is how much will it be zen2 and mobo as well
thank you all

boju

Titan
Ambassador
To improve your system, faster ram 2666+ will help a lot. Faster cpu processing between cpu & ram for better through put. Your current ram speed is letting you down.

Also a program to temporarily disable unnecessary processes can help too.

Fr3d

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
I completely forgot about ram.... yikes hahah, i havent upgraded my ram since i did my first upgrade and that was like 3 years ago... I guess I will need to strech my budget.
You have suggestions? Do you think I could do the upgrade of "ram+cpu+mobo" for less than 400(400 being like the max i guess)?
I buy the ram probs this month any suggestions as well? Ill start with 1 stick of 8gb i guess and then buy the second one whenever can you suggest some?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Ok, so let's get some info straight here for a second so we can keep things organized and understandable.

First thing is first.
400 what? USD? CAD? AUD? British Pounds? Euros?
Can't offer any advice on components if we don't know your budget (this also includes the currency type) as well as your country.

Now, to clarify options that you have:

Option 1: Buy a Z series motherboard on the used market for a good price to start overclocking your CPU.

Option 2: By a used 6700 for cheap to get hyperthreading. (not a 6700K since you can't overclock with your current board)

Option 3: Buy a new platform upgrade (CPU/Mobo). If said platform upgrade is Ryzen, then faster RAM in dual channel is needed as well.

However, you say your RAM is 1064MHz....... I've never once heard of this speed before. Are you sure you typed it correctly?
Also, is that what it's rated for on the packaging or sticker on the sticks?

What is it with everyone and 144fps/hz I just don't get it.
Is it the new buzzword we should all be crazy about?

your GPU will never push 144hz on modern games, even if you had a i9 9900k
It may push them on inferior games like CS or DOTA game, but never on AAA games.

Change your GPU to something decent - 2060/2070
use GPUCHECK.com to decide how to make your computer faster.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
@ElectrO_90 have you played a game over 100Hz / 100fps?

I second this.
I've played on a basic 1080p monitor at 60hz and honestly played games at average 45fps on low/medium settings back when I was mega broke.

and I've also played on console for most my life which at best was 60fps and more on average 30fps and I can say with all honesty that playing games at around 100fps or more on my 144Hz G-Sync monitor is an absolute dream and I could never really see myself going back if I had a choice.

I do still play console games however, and with more single player third person games on PC that don't play nice with OBS capture unless I V-Sync at 60, I can still play at that frame rate just fine and I don't really have too much of a problem with it, but when it comes to anything online and competitive, I absolutely refuse to go back to anything lower than 100fps unless I am forced too against my will.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss and boju

Fr3d

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
Ok, so let's get some info straight here for a second so we can keep things organized and understandable.

First thing is first.
400 what? USD? CAD? AUD? British Pounds? Euros?
Can't offer any advice on components if we don't know your budget (this also includes the currency type) as well as your country.

Now, to clarify options that you have:

Option 1: Buy a Z series motherboard on the used market for a good price to start overclocking your CPU.

Option 2: By a used 6700 for cheap to get hyperthreading. (not a 6700K since you can't overclock with your current board)

Option 3: Buy a new platform upgrade (CPU/Mobo). If said platform upgrade is Ryzen, then faster RAM in dual channel is needed as well.

However, you say your RAM is 1064MHz....... I've never once heard of this speed before. Are you sure you typed it correctly?
Also, is that what it's rated for on the packaging or sticker on the sticks?
Ok so it is 400€ for this month at least

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Dude...... when you gonna update that CPU lol?

I'm sure you're already feeling the effects of it in newer titles.

As it is, I'm starting to feel the effects on my 6700K in more CPU intensive games like AC Origins.

Haha it still gives me 60~90 in Farcry 5 / Ghost recon WL, cpu usage is fine with the help of hyperthreading. In 1440p, 1080Ti isn't too far behind if it were with the latest cpus. Gsync helps a lot though.

I don't feel the need just yet but i am looking toward DDR5 platforms to arrive, hopefully within in two years.

Fr3d

Reputable
Aug 24, 2016
What is it with everyone and 144fps/hz I just don't get it.
Is it the new buzzword we should all be crazy about?

your GPU will never push 144hz on modern games, even if you had a i9 9900k
It may push them on inferior games like CS or DOTA game, but never on AAA games.

Change your GPU to something decent - 2060/2070
use GPUCHECK.com to decide how to make your computer faster.
I mean I just need stable 144fps, its not to much, and im pretty sure my GPU for now could handle on the games i mostly play tbh with everything on low settings as well, of course I will upgrade it just wondering what would be better for the games i play atm to get the consistent 144 without drops on heavy fights and in gerenal tbh, If i put some games on medium or high the fps doesnt change drasticly tbh but only in fights tbh

TRENDING THREADS