Question 14900k overheating, how to resolve with cooling?

rcorado

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2015
My CPU is over heating, current fix for it that has resolved my issues is to under volt my CPU. My current AIO - CORSAIR - iCUE LINK H150i RGB Liquid CPU Cooler (360 mm coolers). Some of the cores will hit 100c. Do i have the wrong AIO? I have always heard this CPU runs hot but I would think a 350 mm cooler would be just fine. What have people done to resolve this problem?

logainofhades

Titan
Motherboard manufacturers have been running optimized defaults that are pumping too much voltage into 13th and 14th gen chips, causing them to degrade. Undervolting is really what should be done on 12th-14th gen. You might want to get a contact frame as well.

Feb 2, 2024
You cant fix poor design, efficiency, and implementation, Intel are a train wreak, they draw ridiculous power and produce ridiculous heat. To fix the problem get an AMD...
My 7950X I got a few hundred dollars marked down due presumably to all the marketing hype of the 3D cache silliness and its the best kept secret in CPUs. For the performance it cranks out & off a basic Noctua air cooler is fantastic.
It runs cool in most stuff even Portal RTX, only hard benchmarks get all the cores to 95C at ambient temp of 25C. Not even cinabench really does it tbh.
People keep buying Intel because they automatically think Intel are some great mega corporation, but history shows you must keep re evaluating brands to prove their validity.

The proof that a water cooler &/or even bigger one is useless is in the very fact that the cpu itself is sitting at 100C! My 7950X sits at 95C yet the alloy heatsink is barley luke warm. There is a fundamental limit to the amount of heat flux that can pass through the cross section, thermodynamics is all about surface area.

Reactions: PEnns

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
You cant fix poor design, efficiency, and implementation, Intel are a train wreak, they draw ridiculous power and produce ridiculous heat. To fix the problem get an AMD...
My 7950X I got a few hundred dollars marked down due presumably to all the marketing hype of the 3D cache silliness and its the best kept secret in CPUs. For the performance it cranks out & off a basic Noctua air cooler is fantastic.
It runs cool in most stuff even Portal RTX, only hard benchmarks get all the cores to 95C at ambient temp of 25C. Not even cinabench really does it tbh.
People keep buying Intel because they automatically think Intel are some great mega corporation, but history shows you must keep re evaluating brands to prove their validity.

The proof that a water cooler &/or even bigger one is useless is in the very fact that the cpu itself is sitting at 100C! My 7950X sits at 95C yet the alloy heatsink is barley luke warm. There is a fundamental limit to the amount of heat flux that can pass through the cross section, thermodynamics is all about surface area.
Thats so far from the truth.
Intel calls it PL1 and PL2 you set a power limit in BIOS to lower temps.
AMD calls the boost power limit PPT your 7950X has a PPT of 230 watts. That is the power it will try to draw and thermal throttling starts at 95C so yes you would see a temp no higher than 95C.

Both board manufacturers set the power limits way to high.
AMD boards got fixed with BIOS updates (remember the X3d chips melting)

TheHerald

Proper
Feb 15, 2024
Stop with this nonsense, please. I used a 13900k and a 14900k on a single tower small air cooler, did great, much easier to cool than your 7950x.

85c - 41100 score, single tower air cooler. Please share yours lad

41161.jpg

Motherboard manufacturers have been running optimized defaults that are pumping too much voltage into 13th and 14th gen chips, causing them to degrade. Undervolting is really what should be done on 12th-14th gen. You might want to get a contact frame as well.
That's too general and only an partial answer.
The makers pump too much of everything into the CPU, not just volts, reducing volts alone while all the other settings are still over pushing everything else will only cause instability. The mobo will try to reach the new high that the lower volts unlock so it will still reach 100 degrees if all the other things will allow it.
What have people done to resolve this problem?
You can't resolve this problem with cooling since the automated overclock uses the amount of cooling as one of the limiting factors, if you increase the cooling it will just clock even higher, or at least it will try to.

If you really want to fix it then you have to set your own limits in the bios, the most important ones being vcc (CPU voltage) and icc_max (CPU amperes) those two affect the max power draw (watts) and with it the max amount of heat your system can possibly produce.

You can also just adjust PL1 and PL2 which is the max power draw, but if the mobo uses settings that have volts and amps way too high then doing that will limit the performance since it will get hotter at lower watts.

Derbauer recently leaked the review guidelines that come directly from intel, and the 14900ks should be kept at 253W and 307A for performance mode which would be the same for the k model, which would result in a max voltage of 1.21V.

Also:
Intel: Keep it at 253W ,maybe go to 320W if you feel crazy.
Reviewer: Hold my beer! OMG! 400W + !
CPMLrjt.jpg