$15 Chromecast Ethernet Adapter Makes Streaming Videos Even Easier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
It's news to me. Could actually use one of these in my rear den.

If you're calling this an AD, you might as well call every article that informs us of ANY product an AD.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Chances are if you have internet in your home then you have WIFI. Your WIFI should be strong enough to cover your home unless you own a 1 acre wide home or a 5 story home, but still I would rather just buy a WIFI booster/ repeater so it helps all of the WIFI devices instead of spending $15 to help just one.

Chances are if you have internet in your home then you have WIFI. Your WIFI should be strong enough to cover your home unless you own a 1 acre wide home or a 5 story home, but still I would rather just buy a WIFI booster/ repeater so it helps all of the WIFI devices instead of spending $15 to help just one.

Not necessarily. I actually have a rather good 802.11ac dual-band router. The house I live in isn't very big, the router is about 50 feet from my room I'd say. I am very lucky if I get 1-bar of single. Most of my wireless devices won't work in here unless they are near the door (which is a bit closer). I've attempted using multiple wifi extenders, the current one I have is $200 model, and none of them help improve the problem.

Granted my issue is a little unusual, I'm quite certain that there is a lot of metal wiring and stuff in a wall that sits directly before my room and reflects the signal, but there are several other factors that can prevent a wifi router from broadcasting through a home.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I am going to order one soon as it's available. Wish Google would let us pre-order it until it's in stock again.

G

Where I live, I have high interference from so many wifi hotspots, and also three walls between my bedroom and office, so the only way to stream HD has been to use a powerline ethernet thingy. So I appreciate this device.

I'm not going to get it because I have a real computer, but I get that there are specific use-cases.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Is it just me or this looks like an ad got into the news section? Starting with the headline.
I for one am interested in finding out about cool new gadgets like this one. The headline is actually factual as that does make it 'easier'.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

This would be a great option, I use my Chromecast everyday to stream youtube to my TV and I like the fact as long as I create a playlist it does not display ADs. If it was hardwired I might just take the time to get Plex up and running on it.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

I kind of like the simplicity of the chromecast, so having it A] be big enough for an ethernet port and B] have 2 cables coming from it [one of which is a comparatively thick cat5 cable] would ruin that in my opinion. A better idea would be to make the next one USB-C and include a gigabit version of this thing by default. I'd pay $40-50 for that for sure.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

What about a POE switch?

If the next chromecast can be powered by POE then power requirements can be solved with a POE switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.