15 Windows Tips to Help You Work Faster and Smarter

Colif

Win 11 Master
Learn to type faster?

I was expecting the 15 to at least be all Windows, one was how to make Google search page show more? And other was improve your typing... I wish, its taken me years to convince myself not to look at keys all the time. Now I am going blind I have no choice.

Reactions: aldan
Jan 29, 2020
No need for CopyQ or other clipboard managers. Windows 10 has its own clipboard manager. Press Win+V to show a list of copied items or to activate the clipboard manager.

Learn to type faster?

I was expecting the 15 to at least be all Windows, one was how to make Google search page show more? And other was improve your typing... I wish, its taken me years to convince myself not to look at keys all the time. Now I am going blind I have no choice.
good thing you learned when you did.my eyesight was never good,and hasnt got any better.lol.i tried to cut the end off my left index finger and that is the worst impediment to my typing as it has little or no feeling in it.

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Not sure this is the case anymore since I disabled W10 updates long ago, but as long as W10 could restart your PC after an update with no questions asked I wouldn't recommend force windows app to close at shutdown setting. Thus you'll avoid bad surprises when you come back from lunch...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not sure this is the case anymore since I disabled W10 updates long ago, but as long as W10 could restart your PC after an update with no questions asked I wouldn't recommend force windows app to close at shutdown setting. Thus you'll avoid bad surprises when you come back from lunch...

You can set active hours so that updates won't install or run inside that time so that is 1 way to avoid this occurring. Still helps to remember to update PC once per month (2nd week of each month) but as updates are normally cumulative now or all come out on same day, its not hard to remember. Every other day of week you could do that I guess... I just close everything at shutdown, always have. Hence i don't need this tip.

Do you update win 10 every 6 months since that is when new versions are released? I wouldn't stay on an old build too long.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
You missed the biggest one - Stop using Facebook and Twitter altogether.

Seriously. Let those parasites and blights on society die.

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
You can set active hours so that updates won't install or run inside that time so that is 1 way to avoid this occurring. Still helps to remember to update PC once per month (2nd week of each month) but as updates are normally cumulative now or all come out on same day, its not hard to remember. Every other day of week you could do that I guess... I just close everything at shutdown, always have. Hence i don't need this tip.

Do you update win 10 every 6 months since that is when new versions are released? I wouldn't stay on an old build too long.

I don't update Win 10 every 6 months. I just manually install security updates from time to time but not major Win releases then I disable the updates that failed till I have more time/patience to troubleshoot the failed updates. I usually disable lots of useless services (hence some failed updates) and have under 5 secs boot time (my PC starts faster than my monitor).

I know about the active hours but that's too much hassle and may not avoid the auto update issues in my case as I may have to work a whole day or a whole night.

Last edited: