1500$ Ryzen 7 2700x GTX 1080 Build

Evan builder

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
So this is most likely my final build configuration, unless you guys advise that I change something. Let me know what you like or dislike about the build, any feedback is welcome!

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GmTsP3
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GmTsP3/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($184.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card ($389.95)
Power Supply: EVGA - 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1428.56

EDIT: I could use some advice on a clean/sleek case that includes 2/3 fans with a glass viewing panel. Anything under $150 would be acceptable

Solution
That is a very nice build and will be a very good system. You dont need a 850 watt PSU for that rig. In fact, a good 550 watt PSU would be enough. But I would probably still go with a 650 watt for more breathing room. So see if you can get a quality 650 watt PSU from EVGA, Corsair, or Seasonic.

Personally, I would not get the cooler master liquid cooler. If you want a liquid cooler, go with Corsair or NZXT. But with that being said, liquid is not really the best. A big air cooler will be quieter, cheaper, last longer, and will do just as good of a job. If your case can support it, I suggest looking at the Noctua NH-15se if you case can support it.

But if it were me, I would probably hold off on the cooling all together from...
That is a very nice build and will be a very good system. You dont need a 850 watt PSU for that rig. In fact, a good 550 watt PSU would be enough. But I would probably still go with a 650 watt for more breathing room. So see if you can get a quality 650 watt PSU from EVGA, Corsair, or Seasonic.

Personally, I would not get the cooler master liquid cooler. If you want a liquid cooler, go with Corsair or NZXT. But with that being said, liquid is not really the best. A big air cooler will be quieter, cheaper, last longer, and will do just as good of a job. If your case can support it, I suggest looking at the Noctua NH-15se if you case can support it.

But if it were me, I would probably hold off on the cooling all together from the beginning as the 2700x comes with a very good stock cooler. I would use the extra $120 saved and see if I would squeeze into a 1080ti.

Fractal Design Define R6 is an awesome case. Phanteks also has some really good cases.

Solution

Evan builder

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014

Alright, do you have a specific 650watt in mind? I just figured the price of this 850 was much lower than others I had seen so might as well go for the extra power. I do want to keep liquid cooling for the aesthetic. The NZXT and Corsair seem to cool off the CPU a few extra degrees, but also are louder and more expensive so do you think that is something I will need?. The R6 case does look pretty awesome, one of my favorites so far, also was thinking about an NZXT maybe

The GTX 1080 is purchased already sadly, otherwise I would try and get the ti. Maybe I can try and resell it

EVGA 650 G3 would be fine. plus its an upgrade over the GQ you picked and its cheaper.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y88H99/evga-supernova-g3-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650

i've done builds in the nzxt h400 case. it's pretty nice. they always look very clean and that one has tempered glass. easy to build in and its in your under $150 range.
https://www.nzxt.com/products/h400-matte-white

might want to consider an nzxt kraken x52 for liquid cooling and asthetics. they do a great job and the rgb on the socket looks awesome with the mirroring effect. you get better cooling but unfortunately you have to buy the rgb fans separately. the rgb works with the nzxt hue lighting kits which is a plus and you'd only need one program for the mirror and case lighting/fans if you add them later. i've been using the hue lighting for years.

I agree with N3rdR4ge, EVGA G3 is good. EVGA G2 is one of the best PSUs around also. Both are typically pricey. Seasonic Focus Gold series are really nice PSUs and they are usually a little cheaper than the G2/G3.

NZXT makes good cases as well. The h400 and h700i are really good cases. But honestly, when you get over the $100 dollar price for cases, they are all really good.

While I dont have a Cooler Master liquid cooler, it is not going to be very much quieter than the NZXT or Corsair. The probably use the same Asetek pump. The type of case will have a bigger impact on sound than the difference between Cooler Master and Corsair.

Usually, you dont get both, quiet and cool. There is always a trade off. I have two rigs, both liquid cooled with 1080ti's. One with a Define R6 and the other has a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe case. The Define R6 is noticeably quieter, but my GPU load temps are 5C higher than the Phanteks case. In the end, 5C is really not that much, it just depends on what your priority is.

Evan builder

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Think I have decided on the Kraken x62 cooler and the fractal design meshify c case. If ya have a recommendation around the same price thats better speak up quickly. Feels good to finish a part list

EDIT: Going to order the kraken at another time and just use the stock cooler for a while. Should I order 1-2 more fans for my case? The meshify only comes with 2 (plus I'll have the wraith stock cooler)