Question 15800MB pagefile size causing constant writing things to system SSD every 2-3 seconds small KB?

danny009

Honorable
Apr 11, 2019
Is this related? pagefile a bit huge for some reason unsure if this is normal. I'd like to minimize a bit the pagefile size in custom. I been using it let the system manage for years.

Can I get to know what are the recommended sizes in custom values min and max please? Have 16GB RAM and SSD is system and only drive in the laptop. (plus an external hard drive connected via usb3.0. Tried to have it place on external HDD some time ago, did not worked)

Task Manager shows SSD constantly writing small KB things to the ssd every 2 seconds. I like to prevent or minimize that. My Desktop PC does not have this problem.

Thanks

Solution
Hey bro what is up man, my favourite SSD expert

My SSD is 512GB in total, 170GB used I did custom size then reboot then auto manage again reboot and now my laptop runs faster now in response, that is good, what I did basically emptied the pagefile I guess, it is around 1000'ish MB currently size.

I don't think it is a malware as I don't download shady EXEs and ran Microsoft Defender Offline, it did booted up in some special screen before desktop, ran several mins and came out clean. It didn't displayed anything else afterwards but I heard MS Defender Offline scan is good against any malware.
Automanaged is just fine.

Possibly it just needed a reboot...;)

USAFRet

Titan
What size is the SSD, and how full is it?

16GB pagefile is bad on a 120GB SD, inconsequential on a 1TB SSD.

Something writing to the SSD every 2 secods is not 'bad', in and of itself.
In actual fact, it is being written to constantly....every time you move the mouse, for instance.

But, if it were some malware doing that, that would be bad.

danny009

Honorable
Apr 11, 2019
What size is the SSD, and how full is it?

16GB pagefile is bad on a 120GB SD, inconsequential on a 1TB SSD.

Something writing to the SSD every 2 secods is not 'bad', in and of itself.
In actual fact, it is being written to constantly....every time you move the mouse, for instance.

But, if it were some malware doing that, that would be bad.

My SSD is 512GB in total, 170GB used I did custom size then reboot then auto manage again reboot and now my laptop runs faster now in response, that is good, what I did basically emptied the pagefile I guess, it is around 1000'ish MB currently size.

I don't think it is a malware as I don't download shady EXEs and ran Microsoft Defender Offline, it did booted up in some special screen before desktop, ran several mins and came out clean. It didn't displayed anything else afterwards but I heard MS Defender Offline scan is good against any malware.

USAFRet

Titan

Automanaged is just fine.

Possibly it just needed a reboot...;)

Solution
15800MB pagefile size causing constant writing things to system SSD every 2-3 seconds small KB?
Is this related? pagefile a bit huge for some reason unsure if this is normal.
That pagefile size is excessive.
Can I get to know what are the recommended sizes in custom values min and max please? Have 16GB RAM
Set it to custom size,
4GB initial,
16GB max.
Tried to have it place on external HDD some time ago, did not worked
Never place pagefile on external drive. That's a ridiculous idea.