16 gigs of memory but never use more than 7.9 while gaming

OneFiveFiveOne

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
I am in novice and I think this is part of a bigger issue that is driving me nuts. I have 16 gigs of memory, And I never see it rise above 8 gigs even with really intensive gaming.
My entire system never goes about 50 to 60% utilization "mem, cpu, gpu, gpu vram" Even while having games set on Ultra settings and still having low FPS "24 to 50" In some intensive games.
I have checked the system temperatures, And I have been told that they are low and they should not Thermal throttle.

Windows 10 home 64 bit "Clean install"
Asus Z 97 sabertooth
i5-4570
Nvidia 980 Ti
16 gigs 1600 ram
850 what power supply
250 gig SSD OS Lesson then 40% full
1TB Mechanical Game storage 55% Full
1TB mechanical Media storage
System at Idol 83 to 85 processes

Solution
If your system is showing 7.9gb in use you are more than likely using all of your ram and dipping into the page file, which will hurt performance in games. BF1 for example uses about 7.5gb of ram at 1080p max all on its own, 8gb is not enough for bf1 and your OS, so it will start to use your hard drive as ram to keep the system working which is MUCH slower.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
If your system is showing 7.9gb in use you are more than likely using all of your ram and dipping into the page file, which will hurt performance in games. BF1 for example uses about 7.5gb of ram at 1080p max all on its own, 8gb is not enough for bf1 and your OS, so it will start to use your hard drive as ram to keep the system working which is MUCH slower.

Solution

cloudrunner14

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016

It appears the rest of the commenters did not read your post properly. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with this so I have no solution to your problem.