16 TB Cloud Drive from Google Costs $4.1K/Year

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksenter

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]spoofedpacket[/nom]LOL @ the inevitable poster who has to compare enterprise level, multi site replicated SAN solutions to a pile of junk SATA drives on sale at Newegg.Also to the person scared of 'clouds', keep in mind Gmail and Sidekick issues had everything to do with database failures and not access to SAN storage being sold by the GB. It is like saying "I'm scared of coffee because I read a news article where someone got sick after drinking hot chocolate once". 'Cloud' is just a buzz word, and can encapsulate many things.[/citation]

Actually the Sidekick issue was due to a SAN upgrade and failure to backup. And if there was any kind of backup then a database issue wouldn't cause data loss. So you obviously don't know what you're talking about. But feel free to laugh at me, while I don't lose data because I backup my own rather than trusting in something I have no control over.

drjt87

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
It's so stupid people are only using the $4000 figure and the 16tb. I'm sure majority of people will only pay the $5-20 for the extra storage in case they have too many photos or attachments. Who really has more than 80 gb in email and photos?

I would be really happy to pay an extra $20 to have an online backup of my photos knowing there are at least 3 copies in google's file system. Plus, it allows me to share my photos, tagged and also downloadable.

You should be comparing this to Flickr. If you use less than 80gb for photos, go with google, otherwise wait another year or go with flickr.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Cloud computing isn't about saving money, it's about accessibility. You can access all of your cloud data from anything that can access the web.

I wouldn't put anything confidential up there, and the whole Sidekick situation should remind everyone that you've still got to maintain local back-ups of everything. I'm now maintaining several GB of cloud storage on LaCie's servers. It's great, I don't have to bounce everything back and forth between my home desktop, office desktop,and laptop as much.

G

Mhm, I personally don't know about this but you could potentially take all of the files and zip them into a really large archive. Then use a custom program to rearrange the data so its unreadable by anything but your own program. IDK about programming or anything like that but it would seem like a workable system.

gravitygirl

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Can we disagree without calling names? Is it possible to disagree without getting quite so emotional ... and remain civil? Can we be gentle in our correcting, the same as how we would want someone to correct us?

I suggest the mods give "timeouts" for those who can't hold it together.

G

For all you people talking about single location RAID solutions. What if the physical location is compromised rather than a technological failure? Lightning strike/fire/flood etc.

In this instance having off site co-location could prove to be invaluable. Some data is far far too important to risk losing in a fire. Think research PHD's/personal artifacts/important documentation etc.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]Hey douchebag...I work for a global corporation and I know how it works seeing how it’s my job. If you are truly a global corporation then #1, you are going to have more than hundreds or thousands of employees. You are going to have tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of employees. #2 , being a global corporation you would not dare use something as idiotic as google to host your data. That infrastructure will be built inside the corporation seeing how it’s a global wide industry and must reach around the globe at a seconds notice. #3, I can easily build a 16TB raid in my house in a full size tower and support it without any issues. I am not going to need a chilling unit for the thing either. And the other beauty of it is that I can turn it on and off when I need to. As far as access goes….I can access my home network from anywhere in the world right now and reach any data that I am looking for.Try reading the article sometimes you ass-hat. This is about INDIVIDUALS storing data in google’s cloud service not a CORPORATION. A corporation has no use for this. You need to stop looking out the window and start paying attention. It’s obvious from your comment that YOU do not have a clue of how a personal network or a global network works.[/citation]

With the current prices for san systems with syncing between locations, there's really no point for any bigger business to want this system. But I think it's quite okay for small businesses with 2-3 computers and individuals as well.

We've got roughly 43k registered users in our AD at the moment, and even at our small company I don't think anyone of us would ever consider to outsource storage of anything more important than google bookmarks to a global company with potential interests in what we're storing.

G

All I can see is some poor small business owner backing up all of their data just to have it deleted and all lost. That would miff me off getting some 15 pages essay completed and having it deleted halfway through the upload. Like I said before, its great for general file sharing and *some* backup but nothing thats irreplaceable.

drivehq

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
"16TB in the cloud" is just a marketing hype. You cannot realistically upload that much data, period! This kind of pricing war misleads potential buyers and hurts the industry. Cloud storage inherently is more about "cloud", "features" and "services", and not "storage". Potential buyers should not just look at the storage price. If storage price is so important, you can always buy dirty cheap external storage.

Cloud storage/backup is just one small feature of Cloud Computing/Cloud IT service. Cloud service has become a lot more powerful with DriveHQ.com Cloud Storage and Cloud IT Solution 5.0. It is far more than just storage or backup. Not only you can backup files to the cloud, you can also move your entire file server, FTP server, email server, web server and backup system to the cloud. You can create sub-users and sub-groups; you can set different user roles; share different folders to different users with different permissions. For a small business, Cloud-based storage, backup, sharing and Cloud IT Solution can save you a lot of cost, while offering better, more secure and reliable services that can be accessed from anywhere.

DriveHQ.com was one of the first few companies offering such cloud based services. It is now offering version 5.0 Cloud Storage and Cloud IT Solution. For more info, please visit: http://www.drivehq.com/. DriveHQ basic service is free.

drivehq

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
"16TB in the cloud" is just a marketing hype. You cannot realistically upload that much data, period! This kind of pricing war misleads potential buyers and hurts the industry. Cloud storage inherently is more about "cloud", "features" and "services", and not "storage". Potential buyers should not just look at the storage price. If storage price is so important, you can always buy dirty cheap external storage.

Cloud storage/backup is just one small feature of Cloud Computing/Cloud IT service. Cloud service has become a lot more powerful with DriveHQ.com Cloud Storage and Cloud IT Solution 5.0. It is far more than just storage or backup. Not only you can backup files to the cloud, you can also move your entire file server, FTP server, email server, web server and backup system to the cloud. You can create sub-users and sub-groups; you can set different user roles; share different folders to different users with different permissions. For a small business, Cloud-based storage, backup, sharing and Cloud IT Solution can save you a lot of cost, while offering better, more secure and reliable services that can be accessed from anywhere.

DriveHQ.com was one of the first few companies offering such cloud based services. It is now offering version 5.0 Cloud Storage and Cloud IT Solution. For more info, please visit: http://www.drivehq.com/. DriveHQ basic service is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.