1600mhz on Sandy Bridge (confirmation)

iDamnIT

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
hello

i know this has been asked before, but since this is an old cpu and pretty old motherboard, i'd like to be sure.

Mobo: MSI H61 P31/W8
CPU: i5 2400

on the MSI web page, it said DDR3 1600mhz can only be supported by Ivy Bridge processors. can i however disregard this and carry on buying 2x8 1600mhz ddr3 for my system? will it be functional (even if at 1333mhz only)?

one extra question, if it can run, any possibility of making it run 1600mhz instead?

thank you in advance.

Solution
1333 is just the stock speed. Anything higher requires a mobo that can oc ram. H61 can't oc and will default to 1333. Xmp won't run it at 1600. There is no 2x8gb low density ram.
So long as you make sure it is not low density memory, which some early DDR3 memory was, it should be perfectly fine. These days, unless you are buying it used or it specifically states that it is low density, the majority of DDR3 you can buy new WILL be high density and should not be a problem.

Once installed, you will probably need to go into the bios and enable the XMP profile in order for it to run at 1600mhz. Once done, save settings and exit bios. Should not be a problem AT ALL to run at 1600mhz.

You MIGHT however have to bump the DRAM (Memory) voltage up a tiny bit in some cases.

Worst case scenario, and this is doubtful, it should at least run at 1333mhz, but I believe it should not be a problem at 1600mhz.

Actually, that is my bad. I missed the notation on the specifications chart indicating that 1600mhz modules are only supported on Ivy bridge CPUs. So I guess short of finding some contrary verification, which is possible, that you're stuck with either 1333mhz or getting a better board.

iDamnIT

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
alright im fine with that. cant find decent 1333mhz with lower price anyways (shockingly more expensive than 1600mhz)

in the future if i ever upgrade my board, i can just replace it. if im not going for ddr4 maybe, which i definitely will if it ever comes to affordable prices in the future.

thanks for the answers. cheers

iDamnIT

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Note that modules sold as singles have no guarantee to be compatible when used in multiples. Rated clock speeds and DRAM timings may no longer be achievable if not used in the form the memory was sold.

oh does that mean the one im looking for doesnt support dual channel? currently mine is 2x4gb kingston (the naked one) and i just bought the same exact stick to match them. if so, what are some low priced suggestions for 1600mhz ddr3 16gb kit?

It does work for dual channel but you typically want to buy a kit of 2 so you know they work together. It's rare but sometimes it doesn't work buying singles. And I mean it doesn't work at all, it won't boot or crashes. Dual channel works as long as the pc runs.

I gotta disagree again. Rarely, but I have seen, modules that were disparate, as in not the same, that WOULD run together and the full capacity was recognized, but was not able to run in dual channel. Jim (Tradesman1) used to comment about similar problems all the time. He used to specifically speak to the fact that unlike modules might not run together, might not run together in dual channel or might not run together without a great deal of fiddling with the voltage and timings in order to GET them to run together.

Normally though, you are right. If they work, they work all the way. Or they don't at all. Usually. But ALL DDR3 and DDR4 non-ECC memory is capable of running IN dual channel. Whether it DOES or not, could be contingent upon various factors.

I have run into instances where multi channel wouldn't work when the sticks would otherwise work perfectly together. But it's such a rare occurrence it's not worth mentioning. You probably have a higher chance of winning the lottery multiple times in a row.

I've seen this happen. I've never won the lottery even once, much less multiple times. LOL.

Admittedly, only on DDR3 configurations. I've never seen any DDR4 memory that worked together and was not running in dual channel. This OP does use DDR3 though, so possible, whether unlikely or not.

Dual channel isn't in question. Of course it supports dual channel. All modern consumer boards and memory since probably the beginning of Core-i have supported dual, triple or quad channel operation, depending on the platform. The only question is whether they'll support the 1600mhz, which likely they won't.

TRENDING THREADS