Question 16GB memory stick detected as 8GB

fry79

Commendable
Dec 1, 2018
Hi,

My 16 GB stick is detected as 8GB on windows and in the BIOS. It's supposed to be a DDR4 2400 8x2 RAM but in the bios the frequency is around 2100 and only 8GB. My motherboard is AB350 gaming, windows 64 bit. I tried different slots and made sure to clip it well.

Hi,

My 16 GB stick is detected as 8GB on windows and in the BIOS. It's supposed to be a DDR4 2400 8x2 RAM but in the bios the frequency is around 2100 and only 8GB. My motherboard is AB350 gaming, windows 64 bit. I tried different slots and made sure to clip it well.
There's no "trying different slots" MB manual specifies exactly which. Install 1 by 1 in specified slot and test it with https://www.memtest86.com/

fry79

Commendable
Dec 1, 2018
bios version is F22b there 9 versions after this, so I'm going to update it. Regarding memtest, I made the usb boot but can't manage yet to boot on it.

fry79

Commendable
Dec 1, 2018
I updated to F50 latest version, it didn't change anything. I also started to run the test and found quickly 140 errors... I stopped because I need the computer, I will run the test with only 1 stick. I wonder why both ram would have the same problem. Also I'm not sure memtest detected the 16 Gb, it looked like but I had the 2 sticks. I'm going to run 1 stick for 15 minutes now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
only error count you want in memtest is 0, I would rma ram and see if the new sticks show as actually 16gb like it should. You lucky windows saw it at all, win 10 a bit more picky about ram compared to previous versions.

fry79

Commendable
Dec 1, 2018
so finally one stick is showing 140 errors after 15 min and the other 0 error.
I'm wondering if the stick are mislabelled and the shop sold me 8gb stick instead of 16gb

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did it come in a set or did they put it in for you?
if it was in a sealed set I don't know how they could swap sticks.
I would take stick out and look up the codes on it to see what they show you as most of the Memory sticks will have a SKU number allowing you to identify them. Search for numbers online.
If they both 16gb sticks, the codes should be the same on each.

you need to replace the stick with errors anyway. regardless of what it actually is.

[
Hi,

DDR4 2400 8x2 means you have 2 sticks of 8GB to equal 16GB. not 16GB per stick/DIMM
A 32GB set would be DDR4 240016x2.
Make sure you are installing the memory in the red slots.
If using one stick install it in the red slot closest to the CPU.
If you still get errors with the memory installed in the red slots, the memory is bad or not compatible with your motherboard/processor combo.
You will need to replace it.

fry79

Commendable
Dec 1, 2018
Indeed, I checked the SKU number, that's 2 sticks of 8GB sold together. I was confused by the 16 GB written in big on each of them. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for all your answers, good thing anyway I updated my bios and found out 1 stick is maybe near the end.