[SOLVED] 16GB of installed memory, but only 7.95 GB of memory is usable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2020
I've been using my PC for about 18 months now, I'm not sure if this was a problem the entire time or if it recently occurred, unfortunately. The system says both sticks of RAM are installed, but only half is being used, with the other half reserved. I tried updating the video drivers, system and chipset drivers, reseating the RAM, and I ensured that the "maximum memory" checkbox is unticked. My motherboard only has 2 slots for RAM and they are both used right now.

Specs:

Motherboard: MSI B450M GAMING PLUS
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory

Thank you in advance for any advice given!

Dec 9, 2020
turn on the xmp/docp memory profile on in bios?

I attempted to set XMP to profile 1 and then my computer had issues, it began to turn on and off repeatedly as it tried to boot. I reset it back to disabled, should I try profile 2? Did I do something wrong when I set it to profile 1? The options were disabled, profile 1, and profile 2.

Dec 9, 2020
May I just ask one question before I do that? When I open up advanced display settings, it says dedicated video memory is 8192 MB, which is half of the total memory, so it is possible that is where the other half of the usable RAM is? Or are those two separate things?

Status
Not open for further replies.